DD being actively targeted by child with SEN

(11 Posts)
cedricdoris1 Mon 21-Mar-16 22:52:59

DD aged 8 has been actively targeted by a child who is on the autistic spectrum. There have been a wide range of events, including the worst of a punch to the face. I had been emailing the teacher, the KS leader and the deputy head as these incidents carried on, but the punch to the face lead me to escalate this to a formal complaint with the headteacher. The child was internally excluded for 2.5 days after this incident and full 1:1 provision was put in place to include break times and lunch times. The day the findings of the school's investigation were due, I received a telephone call from the head informing me that two further incidences had occurred that day involving the SEN child and mine, resulting in a 2.5 day external exclusion. I have had a further meeting with the head about what they are going to do for my daughter, as the focus has been very much on the other child, in terms of calming her anxiety and feelings of intimidation as a result of these events. What I'd really like to know is, if this continues and further incidents happen, what rights do I have on behalf of my daughter, to insist that this child is removed from the class altogether and is educated completely separately, to include different break and lunchtimes. This is not an isolated case. According to other parents, this child has been doing this for 3 years and since October 2015, decided it was my daughter's turn. I'm not sure quite what else to do. Many thanks.

Wolfiefan Mon 21-Mar-16 22:57:40

The autism is a red herring and irrelevant.
You can't insist on anything with regards to the other child being excluded etc.
Document everything.
First of all ask how anything else was allowed to occur with 121 supervision.
Report to county if no luck with school.
Remove child from school?

AndNowItsSeven Mon 21-Mar-16 22:58:49

None you don't have any right to demand anything relating to another child's education.

Ceeceecee Mon 21-Mar-16 23:02:27

You really need to stick to asking how they are keeping your child safe.

Fwiw your school sounds pretty good about it all.

cedricdoris1 Mon 21-Mar-16 23:02:39

Wolfiefan - thanks. I am puzzled as to how two more incidents happened with full 1:1 supervision and I haven't specifically raised this question. What completely baffles me, is given this child's history, why wasn't she on full 1:1 supervision before punching my daughter in the face, having already been punched in the chest, stomach, arms, had her hair pulled etc. The school haven't answered any of my questions, they have only completed their investigation which found that they followed their policies and procedures correctly.

cedricdoris1 Mon 21-Mar-16 23:03:23

Thanks ceeceecee

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wolfiefan Mon 21-Mar-16 23:04:49

They won't answer any of your questions if you focus on the other child. Sorry.

cedricdoris1 Mon 21-Mar-16 23:09:49

ok thank you

LyndaNotLinda Mon 21-Mar-16 23:11:02

Can you not call the other girl 'the SEN child' please? I do appreciate that your DD is being assaulted and that's really unacceptable but the other girl is a child with SEN.

The school is not keeping your DD safe at the moment and they have a duty of care to her. I agree that you need to focus on her, not the other girl. What can they do to reassure you that this won't happen again? That's where your focus should be

Msqueen33 Mon 21-Mar-16 23:23:49

The school need to put more in place. My dd is six and has autism. She has ft 1:1 support. Having been bullied when I was younger I imagine it's awful watching your child go through it. As a parent to a child with autism and as an adult with autism it's very very hard. Physically hurting another child is obviously not acceptable but autism is a very hard condition to live with. School seem to be failing both your dd and the child with autism. It seems they need better provisions in place. Ft 1:1 is all very well but they need to be adequately trained or else they could be making things worse. School need to protect your child and I doubt they will tell you how they are handling the other child. I hope your daughter is okay. Do you have a team of governors?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now