DD terrified of well loved and respected teacher.

(13 Posts)
knickernicker Sun 10-Nov-13 21:58:42

DD age 7 is extremely shy. She clams up if people are brusque with her. She has to go to early club once a week which is run by the head of early years. DD isn't Icomfortable there because she's new to the school and older than the other pupils who attend.
I think the teacher gets frustrated because dd stands there not knowing what to do. DD said that last week she shouted in her face,so loud she couldn't look at her. DD also said that other children are fond of this teacher. She said that even if the teachr was nice to her she's be able to tell that the,woman'snaturally unkind. She also said that she wished she,wasike one of the children that this teacher naturally liked.
I feel sick that Dd feels scared to go to early club, and that she's sitting there worrying about why this teacher dislikes her. I feel powerless because I doubt there's one person on the school who'd have bad word to day bout this teacher.
I've,suggested to dd that even tho she feels nervous about choosing activities, she should go straight to the colouring table and get on with it. Although this woman renders dd mute, I've told her to reply at least one word
I am inclined to believe dd. Although like any child Sheena embellish, I think she genuinely senses the woman'd antipathy towards her.
Any other tips gratefully received. Thanks.

ICameOnTheJitney Mon 11-Nov-13 08:33:51

Stop sending her. I realise this might not be convenient...but in your shoes, no WAY would I be putting my DD in that situation. Your DD sounds very articulate....and I'd not doubt the way she feels having had a similar teacher myself as a child.

Is there a child minder or friend who could help you out? In the meantime I would be booking an appointment with this woman and asking her about the shouting.

knickernicker Mon 11-Nov-13 16:16:47

Thanks icame. I will be looking into alternatives. Today, after I'd coached dd to get straight to the colouring table (as there's nothing else age appropriate) the table wasn't there! The teacher said, "don't you have any imagination? Can't you play?" Then told her to get on het knees and play with bricks.
I'm seething and need an appointment with the school head. What concerns me is we're new to the school, I'llbe labelled as a trouble maker, the school is like a family unit and early years got ousted outstanding. What can I do?

Could you send her in with a book or a puzzle book, so she has something ready, to hand, to get on with?

WereTricksPotter Mon 11-Nov-13 16:47:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

knickernicker Mon 11-Nov-13 22:46:49

Thanks std and weretricks. I can't bear to send her again. t will mean that on Mondays,she'll have to wait outdoors near class room for 40 mins.
I agree that it might be helpful to talk interns if dd not being comfortable with routines and expectations. I have a feeling tho that this teacher wouldnt moderate what,she does.
Am sorely tempted to send dde n with one of those pensthat records conversations.

ICameOnTheJitney Tue 12-Nov-13 07:37:12

I'm so glad you've made an appointment with the head. Don't let her talk you out of what you know to be fact; the teacher was thoughtless and shouted at DD which is not acceptable...she was short and unkind and has upset your DD and you want to know what will be happening.

SoupDragon Tue 12-Nov-13 07:40:07

she'll have to wait outdoors near class room for 40 mins.

Are you allowed to leave a 7 year old waiting outside a classroom for 40 minuted unsupervised? confused

knickernicker Tue 12-Nov-13 18:48:30

Yes you are in this school soupdragon.
I have now spoken to another parent who says that this teacher has been frightening children and parents too! One has a child in nursery and is seriously considering moving her child to another school for the reception year.I was so relieved to know we wetreny alone in this.
I've drafted a letter to the head which I'll take to parents eve and tomorrow. I hope his won't cause any problem for dd at school.when I am think of the comment, "Don't you have imagination? Can you play?" I feel so angry.

ICameOnTheJitney Tue 12-Nov-13 20:42:42

Don't mention the other parents you've spoken to. If any complain themselves then fine...but if you mention it, it will smack of bitching.

knickernicker Tue 12-Nov-13 21:43:27

Don't worry. Not a chance I'll be divulging that. Just glad to know I'm not alone.

ICameOnTheJitney Wed 13-Nov-13 09:31:53

I'm glad too smile come back and tell us how it went! I can't STAND teachers who don't care for the children. They should go and do something else.

knickernicker Wed 13-Nov-13 21:56:09

I told the form teacher. She was,shocked and said that this wasn't acceptable. She felt I should tell the head teacher. The head said all the things you should say. Said she was sorry we'd experienced this and she would discreetly bring this up with the Trunchbull. The bit that was a bit eccentric was getting dd into the meeting to tell her that Trunchbull is a friend of hers and that she'd be so sad to know she'd upset her. Then held her hand and told her not to be frightened of early club any more.
Will see if things improve.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now