My child is being bullied by a school govenour - sorry its so long

(39 Posts)

Please read and give me your advie because im at a loss of what to do???
It all started with my daughter being picked as the lead in the school play, all the children auditioned and she was chosen to be dorothy in the wizard of oz. She was great, she learned her part and all the other, sung solos, helped out when other forgot there lines, she really put her all into and was very proud. One of the girls in her class had ome up to her and said my mum said you shouldnt have been the lead in the school play and that you cant come to my party beause your goofy with yellow teeth (my daughter has orthodontal issues, nothing that cant be sorted out with a brace but shes to young). it took a few weeks for my daughter to tell me and when iasked her why she said it was because the mother was a govenour and that she was worried she would stop the teachers from liking her, so i went into to see the head teacher, told her the whole story inluding my childs conerns and left it with them a week later this girl was still telling my daughter some unsavory things her mother had said, several meeting with the head teacher and class teacher and i was getting nowhere, they would tell the girl off, she would cry and it would start all over again. Now i dont blame the little firl at all she was simply repeating things her mother had said to her. After a month of this becoming an almost daily occurance and trying to reassure my daughter and urging her to just ignore and walk away i demande a meeting with the head goveneour of the school, hoping for a resolution, he was aggressive towards me and my partner from the outset and even told my partner he wasnt allowed an opinion because he wasnt her dad, despite having been together 6 years and him attending 6 yeras of parents evening, school plays and collecting her from school. The head govenour said the women had admitted to the things she said, he had given her a verbal warning "a slap on the wrists" to quote and what more did i want? When i replied that given the severity and continuity of the situation i believe she should resign her post, he said this wasnt going to happen and if i tried to pursue this further he would accuse me of a "witch hunt" and bullying" and if i didnt like his decision i should take my daughter to another school, now i did onsider this but as its her final year i dont want to uproot her at such a sensitive time! So what do i do? This is still happening 5 weeks later. The little girl said today whenever my mum and dad talk they always mention your name. I cant believe its ok for her to say these things, not apologise, show no remorese for her actions, continue them, and i get threatened with bulling if i pursue my complaint! Where do i go from here? i would really appreiate some much needed advice. Oh and my daughter was told she was not being bullied because it wasnt hurting her inside or out, but its affecting her shool work, personality and sleep.

SunshineMMum Wed 09-Oct-13 13:40:21

I am so sorry to hear this princess. We made a very serious complaint to governors last year and I do wish now we had escalated it further as I feel we were fobbed off. I'd want a written explanation, apology and her word that this will not happen again. This site gives you a guide to stepping up the complaint. I found that Ds's primary school, were very good at closing ranks and refusing point blank to admitting to things.
www.education.gov.uk/schools/leadership/schoolperformance/b00212240/guidance-on-making-a-complaint-about-a-school

erica222 Wed 09-Oct-13 12:40:30

Is it worth making a criminal complaint if the school don't take it seriously, I would could consider doing so provided you have a record/diary of everything that's happened

BlackMogul Mon 07-Oct-13 23:56:29

Firstly, a governor will not be removed! They would have to be criminally implicated for that to happen. Also if she is a parent governor, as appears likely, she has her position on the governing body for the length of her appointment. As a result, the Head (chairman) of Governors saw you after your complaint and this was obviously unsatisfactory but, he has no power to discipline a Governor.....none! He could appeal to her to apologise but can't insist. You can complain, formally, to the Governing Body as laid down in their procedure and inform the LEA of the complaint. Realistically , though, what are you going to achieve?

I would take the moral high ground. I assume your daughter is still Dorothy after all this? I hope so. She is in year 6. You have less than a year to go. Believe me, I have endured people far more wicked than this in my time as a parent. However, they hold all the Aces. LEAs are spineless too as they have no role in dismissing a Governor. This sounds depressing, and it is, but you must complain and get your views across. Do not expect much to happen though. If the school is having an Ofsted inspection soon, make sure the inspectors know you have a rude and poorly functioning Governing Body. If you go to the press, it will drag you down further.

DameDeepRedBetty Mon 07-Oct-13 23:04:05

That's cool princess best of luck and big hugs to you and to xxxx (see what I did there grin) and hope the management team and governors of xxxxxxx primary school can sort everything out very soon!

I have reported the errors I made in my haste so get everything out so they will be removed, thankyou to everyone who has shared there knowledge and il be sure to keep you all updated

DameDeepRedBetty Mon 07-Oct-13 22:49:49

Hi -Just to say you've had some great advice, I'm with you all the way and hope to hear an update someday about how it all turned out.. and meanwhile, better report your own post of 22.23 as I fear you've just mentioned your school's name!

Not ALL governors truly understand what their job really is, I know (from conversation two years after my youngest left) that one of the governors of dtds primary had to be 'encouraged to resign' after too many incidents of privileged information being spread around the playground at picking up time.

cocoleBOO Mon 07-Oct-13 22:29:54

Xpost!

cocoleBOO Mon 07-Oct-13 22:29:38

I think you need to report your post that mentions your DD by name to get it removed smile

i have asked to have these removed, angered took over.

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 07-Oct-13 22:27:25

I understand tour anger and frustration but your DD's name and now school are on this forum. If people google the school it could bring up this thread with your daughters name in it. Is that fair on your daughter?

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 07-Oct-13 22:25:49

Op in your post at 21.41 you've named your DD. You can have this post removed by reporting it via the link in the bottom right corner of the post.

Regarding the complaints procedure. My opinion is that its a governors complaint and so the schools complaints is not relevant go straight to the LEA.

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Excellent advice from Pooka and ZZZZen. Good luck OP, I hope you can get it resolved.

thanks so much, i was starting to go a little crazy, there are so many different issue at play here.

Pooka Mon 07-Oct-13 22:12:47

And meanwhile don't lost sight of the fact that the teaching staff/head should be dealing with the bullying of your dd by the governor's dd.

Pooka Mon 07-Oct-13 22:09:06

You should be aware though that pending investigation it is unlikely that the other governors will be aware of the complaint. They shouldn't be - they need to be completely unbiased from either side should a formal complaint be made or should you request an appeal panel hearing. If the chair were to copy them all in on your complaint he would essentially be crippling them from acting impartially if there were to be a hearing. At least that's the way we do things. So first complaint, chair meets informally with parents and tries to deal with issues before it gets to formal complaint stage and request for appeal panel hearing. He can not then sit on the appeal panel if it should happen because he has had knowledge of the complaint beforehand.

So it's not necessarily the case that the whole governing body are drawing ranks, but rather that the chair and the governor in question are the only ones party to the complaint IYSWIM.

PoppadomPreach - dont worry i need all the help i cant get lol

PoppadomPreach Mon 07-Oct-13 22:02:17

Thank you, bunbaker - and OP I'm sorry if I appeared insensitive,but I really struggle (makes me feel sick) reading a mass of writing.

I can see it is a really tricky situation and that it appears the governors are closing ranks somewhat. I agree with advice of raising issue formally with head and copying in LEA - this sounds like a very dysfunctional group of governors and I for one would question its capability to run the school appropriately.

Good luck and again, I'm sorry if I came across as abrupt..

ZZZenagain Mon 07-Oct-13 21:55:08

write a formal letter of complaint to the head of the school, outlining briefly the problem, mentioning dates when you brought it up with the class teacher, the Head and the Head Governor, state also that the problem persists unchecked and that you have made the school aware of this.

Request that the school inform you as a matter of urgency of the steps they will be undertaking to prevent this behaviour continuing any longer and saying that under the circumstances it is not appropriate that this woman continues to act as a governor of the school. In this letter I would note that the response of the Head Governor was particularly inappropriate and unhelpful, that you object to him dismissing your partner's right to have an opinion about the child he is bringing up and to his threat to charge you with bullying if you should take the matter any further. I would point out that this is highly unprofessional behaviour on his part. State this has led you to have unfortunately little confidence in the school finding a suitable solution to the problem which is why you will be taking it further if it is not resolved to your satisfaction.

Send a copy to the LEA asking them to investigate the matter and send a copy to the National Governors Association with an additional letter as a formal complaint about your Head Gov where you specifically address his Treatment of you and your partner.

bunbaker i appreciate that, im so new to all the this advice anywere is very gratefully recieved

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bunbaker Mon 07-Oct-13 21:34:54

Sorry OP, I have just stuck some paragraphs in to make it easier for others to read.

I am a school governor and I am outraged and horrified at the sheer unprofessionalism displayed by this governor.

You simply must pursue this. Your local authority will have an association for the local governors. Failing that you could contact the National Governors Association

Have you spoken to the head teacher?

Failing that, the local paper?

Bunbaker Mon 07-Oct-13 21:29:31

"Please read and give me your advice because I'm at a loss at what to do???

It all started with my daughter being picked as the lead in the school play, all the children auditioned and she was chosen to be Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. She was great, she learned her part and all the others, sung solos, helped out when other forgot their lines, she really put her all into it and was very proud.

One of the girls in her class had come up to her and said "my mum said you shouldn't have been the lead in the school play and that you cant come to my party because you're goofy with yellow teeth (my daughter has orthodontal issues, nothing that can't be sorted out with a brace but shes too young).

It took a few weeks for my daughter to tell me and when I asked her why she said it was because the mother was a governor and that she was worried she would stop the teachers from liking her. So I went into to see the head teacher, told her the whole story including my child's concerns and left it with them.

A week later this girl was still telling my daughter some unsavoury things her mother had said. Several meeting with the head teacher and class teacher and I was getting nowhere. They would tell the girl off, she would cry and it would start all over again. Now I don't blame the little girl at all. She was simply repeating things her mother had said to her.

After a month of this becoming an almost daily occurrence and trying to reassure my daughter and urging her to just ignore and walk away I demanded a meeting with the head governor of the school, hoping for a resolution. He was aggressive towards me and my partner from the outset and even told my partner he wasn't allowed an opinion because he wasn't her dad, despite having been together 6 years and him attending 6 years of parents evening, school plays and collecting her from school.

The head governor said the women had admitted to the things she said, he had given her a verbal warning "a slap on the wrists" to quote and what more did I want? When I replied that given the severity and continuity of the situation I believe she should resign her post, he said this wasn't going to happen and if I tried to pursue this further he would accuse me of a "witch hunt" and bullying" and if I didn't like his decision should take my daughter to another school.

Now I did consider this but as it's her final year don't want to uproot her at such a sensitive time! So what do I do? This is still happening 5 weeks later. The little girl said today whenever my mum and dad talk they always mention your name. I can't believe its ok for her to say these things, not apologise, show no remorse for her actions, continue them, and I get threatened with bullying if I pursue my complaint!

Where do I go from here? I would really appreciate some much needed advice. Oh, and my daughter was told she was not being bullied because it wasn't hurting her inside or out, but its affecting her shcool work, personality and sleep."

I want others to read this because this is horrific behaviour.

Pooka Mon 07-Oct-13 21:27:53

Write to the chair of governors asking for an appeal panel hearing?

i had parents evening tonight and had to deal with her glaring at me from down the hall then listen while she and the head talked about me!
the school complaints procedure says i should given the oppourtunity to speak to the board of govenours and if im not satisfied to contact the local council.

But for want of a better word i was basially threatened into not pursuing this, i wasnt offered a meeting with the govening body and was told not to. The head govenour said he had spoken to all teaching staff and couldnt find 1 that had a bad word to say about my daughter, it felt as if he was looking for her to have done something wrong, but shes a good girl, a high achiever, polite and helpful and he couldnt find a single staff memeber who could or would say otherwise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now