Note: This topic is for discussing breastpumps. If you want to buy or sell breastpumps, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Recommended breast pumps

(36 Posts)
sunangel88 Sat 26-Sep-09 10:02:05

Currently 5 months pregnant and thinking of combined breast and bottle-feeding once bump is born. What breast pumps would you recommend? I'd prefer the automatic / electric ones but also keen to hear experiences with hand-helds. Planning to express for 12 months or more. Thanks!

mummyhill Sat 26-Sep-09 18:35:48

If you are expressing at work they have a duty of vare to provide you with somewhere private to express, extra breaks to accommodate expressing and should also provide you with adequate storage however lots of people I know managed with a cool bag and freezer blocks.

mummyhill Sat 26-Sep-09 18:37:14

Care not vare. You should be able to find the right information about this on directgov.com where all your maternity rights are explained and your rights when you return to work. If work are funny about it or you need clarification you could also contact ACAS

sunangel88 Sat 26-Sep-09 18:39:12

Thanks for that link, btw.

Picante Sat 26-Sep-09 18:41:39

You don't need to sterilise anything to do with breastmilk. Complete waste of time.

sunangel88 Sat 26-Sep-09 18:41:56

I'm toying with the idea of getting work to give me a 2 hour lunch break so I can drive back to breast feed (since I'm lucky enough to be only 15 mins drive away) Though it depends on how long it takes to breast feed! lol

sunangel88 Sun 27-Sep-09 02:03:06

Adding this link I've just found for future reference when I get ready to buy the pump.

Mumsnet best Ameda Lactaline it is!

ScaryFairy28 Mon 17-Oct-11 19:46:48

I'm sure by the time you go back to work baby will have feeds sussed and not take too long dd now 5 months gets a full feed both sides in 10mins.

RubyrooUK Mon 17-Oct-11 20:03:31

I used the Medela Swing and the Medela handheld, both of which are good in my view. They are automatic ones as I could never get the trick of manual expressing.

It was useful to express so I could occasionally pop to shop/do something needing me to be away more than 35min (DS was always greedy).

But by 4 months, DS took to refusing bottles of all makes and has never had an expressed bottle since. Or any bottle. My social life has been dead for around the same length of time.

sad

Londonmum2013 Mon 03-Dec-12 15:31:46

I cannot recommend the Medela Symphony breastpump. It's the best one in my opinion. I started off using the Medela Swing, and only used it a handful of times. I just couldn't stand sitting there pumping one breast at a time. The Symphony allows you to extract MUCH MORE milk (instantly making your body produce more) and it pumps both breasts at once.

You can rent it out from Medela headquarters. They deliver it to you and it costs £40-45 a month. It may sound like a lot, but it was definitely worth it. I made enough milk for my baby in half the time.

izjscott Thu 04-Jul-13 16:55:33

I recently got the medela swing (double) electric pump. Really easy to use and I just boil it all to sterilize it, don't find it too much of a faff. I've also got some medela storage bags which are better for keeping a store in the fridge or freezer than bottles. Hope this helps :-)

SilverSixpence Fri 26-Jul-13 00:29:33

I have had the Medela swing and the manual Medela. I prefer the manual one as it is quieter, no wires and easier to clean, besides being a lot cheaper! I can get 4.5oz pumping from one side with it and doesn't take any longer than the electric pump.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now