Note: This topic is for discussing breastpumps. If you want to buy or sell breastpumps, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Why is suction on my medela swing rubbish?

(5 Posts)
Carmeleen Tue 15-Jan-13 15:42:21

Hi, looking for some advice please.

I have a medela swing which I got second hand. Worked great for a while but now suction is really hit or miss. I have taken it apart and reassembled, changed the little white membrane, ensured its all dry after being sterilised before using......still suction barely getting anything out.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need a new pump?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 16-Jan-13 12:35:14

Don't know with that one sorry, hopefully someone will be along soon.....

lucywiltshire Tue 12-Feb-13 21:07:03

We had an Ameda which was second hand, and while brilliant for a while it gradually lost suction and when we rang the manufacturers they were very honest and said they are not designed to last forever. If you are using it regularly (as we were, I pumped for hours for 5.5 months) it is probably just knackered so you will need to replace it. The motors in these things are not huge and so their lifespan is somewhat limited. Annoying when not cheap but a breast pump with rubbish suction is as much use as a choccy teapot

wonkylegs Tue 12-Feb-13 21:08:15

Mine was fine for the year I used it, no problems

mimmymouse Tue 19-Feb-13 20:02:24

Have you changed the little white flap? It seems to work miracles. You might have a new one in the box it came with? These are also easily available through amazon, mothercare etc. Same thing happened with my swing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now