Do you burp your baby after a 'dream feed' ?

(14 Posts)
Ruthiebaby Mon 13-Jun-05 21:58:07

I'm curious.
My ds is sometimes too zonked to burp him..nothing seems to come up if he's asleep. I sometimes worry that he's got a lot of air as I hear him swallow it sometimes...and then I worry that he's not burped.

Do you normally just put him straight back down to sleep straight away ?

beansprout Mon 13-Jun-05 21:58:52

Used to just gently rub his back, but don't now (he is 7m).

beansprout Mon 13-Jun-05 21:59:50

It can take a while, but I wouldn't worry unless of course, he wakes later on with wind (!)

Frizbe Mon 13-Jun-05 22:00:38

I used to, aka beansprouts answer!

kid Mon 13-Jun-05 22:01:07

Nothing really to do with your question, but I used to wake up in the night and I would be winding DD (a few months old at the time) and the poor little mite hadn't even been fed, I had dreamed that I had fed her!
I refuse to believe I am the only one that has done this!

Ladymuck Mon 13-Jun-05 22:01:25

How old is he? Generally I probably didn't I must say. The idea for me was to top them up to get them through for longer, so no point in having them awake. If he isn't waking with wind then he's probably expelling it quiet happily whilst asleep!

Evesmama Mon 13-Jun-05 22:06:15

i used to as she was very unsettled when i put her back down otherwise..try some infacol before bottle...if theres anything to come up..that should help without lots of back patting...
got two unopened bottles here if you want them?

Ruthiebaby Mon 13-Jun-05 22:18:03

ladymuck - he's 4 mths.
Evesmama - thanks for the offer but he doesn't normally wake if I put him straight back down with wind. It's always something that I've thought about and I was interested what other people do. Just don't want to be doing things 'wrong' - first baby and all that.

Evesmama Mon 13-Jun-05 22:22:23

i know what you mean..but in a few months whatever you do now, you'll prob wish you done it different anywy...best piece of advice i can give is..take each day as it comes and dont be afraid of your little one..it'll make sense one day...wish you lots of luck

Ruthiebaby Mon 13-Jun-05 22:26:23

Mum2Ela Mon 13-Jun-05 22:36:48

I didn't ever wind my babies. Just me then?

meggymoo Mon 13-Jun-05 22:44:37

Message withdrawn

moondog Mon 13-Jun-05 22:49:58

No,me neither mum2ela. My sister in France also said it's not the done thing there.

mears Mon 13-Jun-05 22:58:12

Burping or winding babies is apparently not done on the continent but is a British thing (possibly American too).

I think winding is over-rated and responsible for upsetting a lot of babies. They are capable of breaking wind themselves. Obviously when they show signs of distress with trapped wind then patting will help, but I don't think they all need it. I didn't wind mine unless I was trying to waken them up for the second boob. Never winded them when they were sound asleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now