Advice - 8 month old won't drink milk.

(19 Posts)
mmmmchocolate Sun 08-May-05 20:29:59

Can anyone help me or advice me that this is normal in some babies.
My dd is 8 months old and hates having milk, currently i am just giving her (or trying to give her) 2 bottles a day. One upon waking when she will drink about 3/4oz and then one before bed when she will often refuse completley. If i put her to bed without bottle she will wake in the night 2/3 times not for feed as will settle back with dummy. If i get her to take 2/3oz she will sleep through till 7 but it involves her getting very upset and giving in to a few ounces. I am worried she isn't drink enough milk as she hasn't put on any weight in 5 weeks.... Any advice welcome x

mmmmchocolate Sun 08-May-05 20:43:43

please - bump

aloha Sun 08-May-05 20:45:37

Milk is important for babies but presumably she is weaned onto solids by now and you could get milk into her on cereal and in the form of yoghurts and cheese etc. How does she eat during the day?

mmmmchocolate Sun 08-May-05 20:48:08

She eats 3 good meals a day, but if i make them too cheesy she turns her nose up and will occasionally eat yoghurts but is more into savory food. She eats big dinners for her size i am told, i have tried feeding her smaller dinners in an attempt to get her to take more milk but that just makes her wake in night crying.

zebraX Sun 08-May-05 20:48:24

It is normal in some babies. MY DD was a it like that. She's 3 & still doesn't like fluids much (which causes lots of problems for her, actually).

Personally I would be so concerned about her milk intake that I would try to get her to have it at night (when she wakes up). I think that taking the risk of having a "bad" habit is better than her not having enough at all.

Some people (on MN) will say that it's ok just to get cow milk products into her by other means (if she'll eat cheese or cream, for instance) & that you don't need to worry about formula any more. They may be right, but personally, I don't like that advice & wouldn't follow it. You can think about it & decide what to do.

What does your HV suggest?

Good luck.

jessicasmummy Sun 08-May-05 20:51:27

i had this problem with jess up until a few days ago.... she was still on SMA GOLD, but i was sick of trying to force milk into her and her refusing point blank. I took it upon myself to switch her to SMA PROGRESS and she hasnt stopped gulping the stuff! Gone from barely 2 bottles a day to 4! im not gnna complain, she still wakes in the night and has a full bottle but i would rather she woke for it at night and got it rather than go without.

not sure what you are feeding your little one, but progress milk has been the way forward for us!

BTW dd is 9 months!

mmmmchocolate Sun 08-May-05 20:57:26

I have tried all different milks and the one she will take the small amount she does is aptimil forward, i spoke to health visit but to be honest she was cr*p, just said give her some cheese and walked off. I am gonna be my 7-9 month check this week and peak to doctor their. I am not too worried but iy just everywhere and everything you read states they should be getting 20oz a day, and dd is just making 7oz and thats a good day.

jessicasmummy Sun 08-May-05 21:00:15

not only would i speak with the doc, i would register a complaint with the hv authourities.... that is disgusting behaviour!

mmmmchocolate Sun 08-May-05 21:01:59

She is quite well known in my clinic as not being the best, so much that most of us have changed days and would rather go with out talking to hv if its her, but i just though i would give it one more go. Silly bint.....

zebraX Sun 08-May-05 21:07:47

One idea to get more formula in to her, it's how I got DS2 to take EBM:

I mixed up powdered baby food (or stuff like Ready-Brek) with expressed breastmilk to get my baby to have milk (he wouldn't have it otherwise). Do you give your DD breakfast cereal, Ready-Brek type stuff, anything else you can mix the formula in with?

mmmmchocolate Sun 08-May-05 21:10:28

She hates anything too milky, even cheese sauce has to be more cheese than milk.

Surfermum Sun 08-May-05 21:20:05

DD wasn't fussed about milk and I struggled to get her to drink the required amount. I used to put 8oz on her breakfast, which was Ready Brek or Weetabix. Yoghurt is good, and I used to give her things with custard as that has milk in it. Most meals I cooked were done in milk. Cauliflower cheese, fish pie, turkey and sweetcorn, etc.

Bozza Sun 08-May-05 21:20:52

I did that for a while with DS, Zebra, when he was teething (front ones) and wouldn't accept the teeth. I made it quite thin so as to maximise milk content. could you giver her a supper of thinnish cereal or would she refuse it?

zebraX Sun 08-May-05 21:23:37

You can buy baby yogurt type things that are made with formula rather than cow's milk; just an idea, even if she will only have one every other day.

You said you're worried about weight gain but plateaus are common at this age, as long as she's got a varied diet with high fat foods as well as fruit+veg & variety, she's probabably ok...

Bozza Sun 08-May-05 21:32:07

Baby yoghurt brand is Danone.

mmmmchocolate Sun 08-May-05 21:38:56

one thing that makes me feel a little better is she has been crawling for a bout 6 weeks and doesn't stop all day, standing and walking along furniture so been telling myslef its cause of that.

zebraX Sun 08-May-05 21:40:44

STarting to crawl would def. explain the slow-up in weight gain.

mmmmchocolate Sun 08-May-05 21:42:29

phheeewwwww, this mummy business is stressful, always something to worry about. Makes me appreciate my mum more x

Orinoco Mon 09-May-05 10:55:55

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now