Is putting rusk in a bottle commonly done, then?

(26 Posts)
MarlaSinger Tue 24-Mar-09 18:56:40

A friend-of-a-friend told me she puts rusk in her 5 month old's bottle as it makes her DS sleep through. I was shocked at this and said so but she just said her NCT group all do it. I said if she really wanted to give her some rusk wouldn't she be better off mashing it with a bowl and spoon-feeding? (I know the baby is not 6 months but didn't feel like going down that road, stable door/horse/bolted etc) but she said no as it was his night-time bottle.

Can anyone explain why, when you know it's dangerous, anyone would do it?

wrongsideof40 Tue 24-Mar-09 18:57:54

Don't think it's generally done in the UK though I have a Spanish friend who says it is the done thing over there !

nickytwotimes Tue 24-Mar-09 18:58:17

We had one member of our group who did it. The rest of us were surprised and a bit shock, but in a totally non-judgemental way of course. wink

hunkermunker Tue 24-Mar-09 18:58:41

It's a choking risk and as such really not recommended.

Does she know why it's dangerous?

nickytwotimes Tue 24-Mar-09 18:59:34

and my MIL was never done telling me how we all had it and 'it never did us any harm'. Apart form th eczema, asthma, bowel disorders...

MarlaSinger Tue 24-Mar-09 18:59:53

Well I am trying not to get judgey and rationalise it instead but can't stop thinking that it's dangerous. But then I don't know how dangerous, just that it is.

When I am getting up in the night to breastfeed my 17-month old I can't help but think 'must be nice...' - you know?

Ivykaty44 Tue 24-Mar-09 19:00:04

This was done back in the 60's in the uk but I dont think it is done any longer?

Mercy Tue 24-Mar-09 19:01:20

It was slightly more common practice when I was a baby - but that was a looooooooooong time ago.

Some myths just perpetuate unfortunately

andiem Tue 24-Mar-09 19:02:10

i thought this had stopped years ago as well
it is a choking hazard as hunker says but also they are full of sugar and there is evidence to show that dental decay can start before the teeth arrive so it would be really bad for their teeth as well.
Can't she just give more milk or food before bed if she is that keen to shove the food in?

MarlaSinger Tue 24-Mar-09 19:02:25

Hunker I am sure she does. She also said 'shh don't tell anyone' and laughed.

God I hope she doesn't read this.

I hate the 'never did me any harm' line, if I had a £ for every time it has been said to me with a piece of well-meant hmm advice since I gave birth, I'd be rich.

MarlaSinger Tue 24-Mar-09 19:03:43

andiem I had no idea - about dental decay.

Thing is, how do you say that to someone without looking like a nosy old bat?

hunkermunker Tue 24-Mar-09 19:04:35

Has he got teeth?

What will she do once he has? Clean them after his rusky bottle?

If not, she will be the one envying you for having a 2yo with teeth.

This isn't pretty so don't click if you are sensitive, especially about teeth

CherryChoc Tue 24-Mar-09 19:06:30

My MIL used to do it I think - so perhaps they are taking advice from their parents?

Wouldn't have been the 1960s though, more recently than that.

You are right that it is dangerous. Can sympathise with the getting up at night though! We have just come out the other side of the 4 month sleep regression.

nickytwotimes Tue 24-Mar-09 19:06:39

OMG at those pictures!
My friend is a nursery nurse in a deprived area and has been in tears at the state of some of the kids' teeth. sad

Mercy Tue 24-Mar-09 19:08:03

Marla, I don't think you can tbh.

And shouldn't unless asked
or it comes up in general conversation

MarlaSinger Tue 24-Mar-09 19:09:50

Those pictures are shocking. DP brushes DS's teeth in the bath and I also give him his toothbrush in the morning while I do mine, he's getting good at having a little go himself. But then I BF in the night. Is this okay?

No teeth yet but lots of dribbling, she is trying Bickipegs I think.

I wanted to say that she might sleep through without the rusk anyway. But people don't want advice, do they - I didn't appreciate being questioned about how I fed and weaned DS. It's a social minefield.

MarlaSinger Tue 24-Mar-09 19:11:06

I said she had a DS in my OP. Which was a silly lie, in case she was reading. As if she wouldn't recognise the rest of it hmm

MarlaSinger Tue 24-Mar-09 19:12:02

And that's just it Mercy I don't want to be the busybody. I didn't know what to say.

emmabemmasmom Tue 24-Mar-09 19:28:26

Ok I have an issue lol

Just looked at those pictures...and now freaking out!

My DD (16 months) has a little half moon sized yellow mark on her two front teeth. She has had this for awhile. I took her to the dentist when she was 12 months and the dentist couldn't really get a good look so he said to wait until she is 2 when all her teeth are in.

But the thing is...she has never ever been left with a bottle. I always gave her one in my lap...she went down to 3 bottles at 9 months and stopped night feeds then too. She is now totally off the bottle...she does not eat sweets and almost never has juice and when she does it is 100% pure juice and totally watered down!

Also, I have always brushed her teeth twice a day...and even after her bedtime bottle most times...

One picture looks kinda like the small yellow halfmoons...

Does she have baby bottle mouth and if so how the hell did she get it????

Feeling aweful!

notyummy Tue 24-Mar-09 19:38:02

It does happen. I have a perfectly sane, fairly well educated friend who bf during the day, but put baby rice and rusks in bottle at night from 6 weeks onwards on the advice of her MIL because she wanted some sleep.

It is not good for many reasons, but a difficult one to intervene on.

annatee Tue 24-Mar-09 23:10:48

I read in Penelope Leach that it was very bad practice to do this because the babe wouldn't get its thirst satisfied without having to 'eat' extra calories contained in the solids. So if it cried later because thirsty, the mum might think he/she was still hungry, and propagate a vicious circle where poor baby couldn't get thirst quenched but would be getting fatter and fatter, then presumably appetite would grow accordingly and really was hungry.

I might be talking shit but seems to make sense to me! After all you can't add rusk to boobs if you are breast-feeding!!

GothAnneGeddes Wed 25-Mar-09 02:28:22

I've known four year olds who have had to be fitted with dentures as they've had every (rotten) tooth removed from their head. Still the parents will say to the child "You'll be able to buy so many sweets with the money the tooth fairy will bring you".

It's child abuse.

LeonieSoSleepy Wed 25-Mar-09 08:32:59

Message withdrawn

nickschick Wed 25-Mar-09 08:38:39

This is common Im afraid sad and as a nursery nurse some years ago in a deprived area I was shocked at how 'normal' people seem to think it is,tbh im inclined to think its the warm sugary texture that sends a baby into relaxed state as opposed to a full tummy that induces a big sleep.

Its awful Im aware that many families do this during the day too when the mum has to return to work (work at home sewing)when the baby isnt very old.

I did think at the time it was that they simply didnt know it wsnt good for dental health,allergies and indeed bowels but even after informed advice it continued and we would regulrly visit homes to see babies propped on the settee with ruskymilk bottles balnced on cushions drip gloopy feeding babies.

munteria Wed 25-Mar-09 09:34:22

hi

i know putting rusks into bottles is done in italy. my italian sister in law was trying to persuade me to do it for my dd when i was visiting there last summer. she looked shocked when i said it wasnt common practise in the UK! although i must point out that DD was 18 months at the time. i'm not at what age in Italy they do this from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now