How many 240ml bottles you can get out of a 900g tin of SMA powder?

(12 Posts)
GCSMUM Fri 13-Mar-09 21:55:53

We have only used ready made milk so far and want to move over to powder SMA in time for holiday. However I cannot work out what size tin I am going to need as it doesn't say how big the scoop is! Can anyone tell me how many 240ml bottles you can get out of a 900g tin ( or how many g per scoop!)?

nancy75 Fri 13-Mar-09 21:57:13

how many bottles a day does your dc have?

GCSMUM Fri 13-Mar-09 22:29:24

Never really counted! (Legacy of breast feeding on demand) I guess I offer 5 240ml bottles though he may not drink it all.

nancy75 Fri 13-Mar-09 22:34:56

i can't tell you how many grams, dd doesnt have bottles anymore so haven,t got a scoop! i know that a big tin would last 8 or 9 days if i was giving 5 bottles a day. i used to buy 1 tin per week, but the one from the week before would still have enough for 1 or 2 days - sorry can't be more precise!
depending on where you are going on holiday you can get sma, but if going for 2 weeks 2 tins would be enough

elkiedee Fri 13-Mar-09 22:38:41

When and where are you going on holiday? Don't forget to plan for the other things you may need for preparing formula feeds. We were on a two week holiday in the US and bought local brands of milk there, but we also found buying an electrical kettle quite a task (as opposed to a coffee machine!)

I think that it used to say on the side of the tin "this tin is enough to make xxx 4oz bottles" or something smilar.

I know that a tin used to last between 10 and 14 days for most of the first year I guess...

Coldtits Fri 13-Mar-09 22:41:03

Coldtits Fri 13-Mar-09 22:41:49

A tin lasted ds1 5 days until he was about 9 months old.

GCSMUM Fri 13-Mar-09 23:02:28

Thanks every one & for tips...

Did expect it to say on the side but doesn't seem to!

Only going for a week so sounds like one may be enough as he doesn't always have the whole amount.But better count up more carefully how much he takes / crack open the tin to trial as not keen to risk local varieties if not needed!

am trying to give up b feeding but perhaps should wait to supplement if necessary!

Staying self catering so there are kettles etc ... necessary

cheers

Coldtits Fri 13-Mar-09 23:10:58

It's 28, honest.

elkiedee Sat 14-Mar-09 00:08:03

Coldtits' figures sound about right - 28 feeds and about 5 days.

I have found some (not corroborated) info that a SMA scoop is approx 4g (or was in 2002).

That means a tin holds about 225scoops.

A 240ml feed is approz 8fl oz which is 8 scoops. A tin will therefore contain 28 feeds as Coldtiz says!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now