Difficulty feeding

(8 Posts)
user1480318773 Mon 28-Nov-16 07:54:34

Please help I'm having difficulties formula feeding my baby. She is 8 weeks old. She was on the ready made aptimal (tried to switch her to powder aptimal but she refused it and preferred ready made). After the first couple of ounces She would pull away from the bottle as if she was in pain. She loves the taste of it and was happy to receive the bottle. Me and my husband would percivere with her and by 6 weeks she was having 4/5 ounce bottles. She was diagnosed with silent reflux and gaviscon helped for a bit then ranitidine helped for a bit. She was still in pain and was difficult to give her a full bottle. So s dietician suggested milk allergy and we changed her to neocate. It was difficult to give her this as she didn't like the taste and she seemed to be frightened of the bottle associating it with fear. Now on neocate for a week and she will only take a few ounce drinking about a third less than what she normally does in a day. She's also not taking much in the night so she's waking up more regularly for food which is so exhausting. I've no idea what to do next everything that is suggested doesn't seem to work. I just want my baby to be able to drink her milk. Any suggestions please?

user1480318773 Mon 28-Nov-16 07:56:34

I'm not sure whether to put her back on aptimal at least she was eating more.

seven201 Mon 28-Nov-16 07:57:03

What about trying nutramigen instead? That's what my dd has for her cmpa. It tastes yuk too but maybe less yuk to your dd? I think you should see your gp if she's just not eating/drinking.

seven201 Mon 28-Nov-16 07:59:17

What dose of ranitidine is she on? You can have low, mid or high. My dd is on the mid dose (2 times her weight in kg divided by 15 to get the correct ml). Maybe that's a factor. Is she windy? Anti colic bottles? We use dr brown. Also, baby probiotics have helped with her disgestion.

seven201 Mon 28-Nov-16 08:02:08

How about giving the aptamil with a bit of the other formula mixed in then up the ratio until it's only the prescription one?

user1480318773 Mon 28-Nov-16 09:02:22

She's on 0.5 three times s day but just did your calculation and it came out 0.66. Do you give that calculation 3 times a day?

I've ordered some probiotics.

Pocketsizedpixie Mon 28-Nov-16 09:06:34

When we were prescribed neocate the Dietician suggested adding a couple of drops of vanilla extract to improve the taste, as well as experimenting with the temperature. My DD drank it better surprisingly warm! It did take a couple of weeks for her to fully accept it though.

seven201 Mon 28-Nov-16 16:05:23

Yes three times a day. Low dose is 1 x weight in kg divided by 15, high is 3x. I've heard that about a drop of vanilla extract too- good idea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now