Baby gagging on nipple

(5 Posts)
GashleyCrumbTiny Fri 11-Nov-16 11:33:37

Two month old, breastfeeding has been going pretty well (after a bit of bumpy start!) but over the past few days, she's started gagging on my nipple. I've tried Googling but that keeps suggesting it's fast letdown - it isn't. She'll do a five/ten minute feed fine, come off for a burp or just a break, then when she goes to latch back on seems to gag on my nipple as if it's going too far back in her mouth. She isn't getting to latch on so it's not a question of how fast the milk it then coming out - she can't get herself latched back on without gagging.

It's horrible listening to her cough and gasp for air after this happens. She's always had a tendency to guzzle and gulp, and sometimes ends up making choking sounds if she's goes at it too fast - but this is worse. She doesn't seem distressed by it, but it's still kind of worrying. Has anyone experienced this? It's not happening every feed, but probably every other one. Last night she gagged so much she threw up everywhere (EVERYWHERE) and I'm worried she's effectively only getting half the feed she needs if she can't latch back on when she wants to. Like I said - it's not forceful letdown. The problem happens when she's trying to latch on, so before there's any milk coming.

GashleyCrumbTiny Mon 14-Nov-16 19:33:43

Nobody? Don't think it's something I should bother doctor with but she really gasps and wheezes when it happens. sad

Kstar8 Tue 15-Nov-16 05:57:12

Hi there, have you been to any breastfeeding drop in sessions near to where you live? They are often run out of children's centres and could help observe the latch and offer advice. You can also find a local la leche league meeting for similar support.
Does this happen in every feeding position? Is it possible to try other positions to see if another angle would allow her to take the nipple properly? A local BF counsellor in the drop ins would be able to show you different positions that might help.

Kstar8 Tue 15-Nov-16 05:59:51

I know that wasn't a very insightful post but some issues with BF really are best observed to be able to advise on. Hoping someone else comes along with more advice!

GashleyCrumbTiny Tue 15-Nov-16 19:04:38

Thank you! Position doesn't seem to make a difference but there are some breastfeeding groups in could try. It may be nothing but it sounds horrendous! It's not been happening long and I can't think what's changed but I'll see if the experts have any advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now