Breastfeeding, periods and drop in supply.

(1 Post)
Youremywifenow Fri 11-Nov-16 00:17:16

Hello

My baby is 7 months old, she's on solids but also breastfed. Introduced top up bottles at about 4 months as she wasn't gaining much weight. I express 3 times a day as well as she likes a massive bottle before bed and if we're going out I take one with us and I can usually express enough for this. She has a breastfeed about 5am, 9am, 1pm and 9pm and if she wakes during the night.

I normally get about 5oz out in the morning, 3oz at teatime and another 5oz before bed but when my period is due and throughout I'm down to about 2oz per expression. This month has been the worst so far, some have been 1-2oz so only just enough for the nighttime bottle and I've used up the stocks in the freezer. I've tried doing some extra expressions but not getting more than an oz.

I've started on magnesium and calcium supplements and fenugreek but not seen any results yet and the fenugreek is giving us both very windy arses.

I know it will go up again in the next few days but yesterday I had to give her a bit of formula for the first time as didn't have enough milk. It's been worse this time as she has a cold so is very bunged up and struggling to breathe and feed at the same time.

Any suggestions on how to maintain supply during periods?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now