That's it then... breastfeeding is done

(7 Posts)
Spudlet Tue 25-Oct-16 21:21:54

I don't really know how to feel about it.

DS has refused the breast tonight (with great vigour too). I was down to one feed a day anyway, having replaced all the rest with solids and formula, but I had planned to keep going with this one until he turned one (at Christmas).

I will offer again tomorrow but if he refuses again I guess that will be the end of it. He's been taking less and less each time anyway.

Part of me is sad and disappointed not to reach 12 months. Another part is relieved that it's over and I don't have to be bitten again (DS has a lot of teeth and a tendency to use them - which is why I started replacing bfs in the first place). Part of me is surprised I made it to 10 months. I don't know.

Feeling a bit confused - and not terribly comfortable. I don't have many people to talk to about this in real life, other than dh who doesn't really understand although he tries. So thought I'd post. Don't bash me, please.

CarrieLouise25 Tue 25-Oct-16 21:26:13

God, no, if anyone bashes you...I'll virtually bash them back!! grin

10 months is amazing!!!

My first started refusing around 12 month mark, second around 10-11 months. Am 8 months with this one, and when he decides to stop, that'll be that.

Well done. Breastfeeding is bloody hard work flowers - and now for the next chapter! smile

Moojay Tue 25-Oct-16 21:27:23

Why on earth would anyone bash you?
You've done amazing to get so far bf! Especially with teeth! I bf dd til she was 7 months old, and DS til he was 10 months because that worked for us.
Your son is happy, and even though its a really emotional time for you and I totally get the struggling with confusing/conflicting emotions of weaning and letting go of that stage, you have given him such an amazing start in life and its great that he feels so content and secure enough to move onto something new!

I highly recommend some new, cold cabbage leaves in the bra if you get any soreness, and a bit of hand expressing in the bath or shower if you feel uncomfortably full. wine because you can nearly have some now.

Moojay Tue 25-Oct-16 21:29:03

Also, I've seen what DS has done to a bottle since getting teeth. It literally made my nipples quiver in fear grin
Fair play to you for taking the teeth on!

RockCrushesLizard Tue 25-Oct-16 21:36:09

It's surprisingly common to have mixed feelings about the end of breastfeeding. I think there's often a gap (though it will vary immensely) between when the child is ready to stop and when mum is ready, so the feelings get complex.
The National Breastfeeding helpline operators all have counselling skills as well as being BF ninjas, and are really helpful at helping work through the emotional aspects.
Be kind to yourself - you've done a lovely thing for your little one for all this time.

Spudlet Tue 25-Oct-16 21:38:49

He's got seven teeth. Seven! I've got friends whose babies don't have any!

I suppose I'm bashing myself because I've reduced right down because it's what's best for me and my nibbled nips, not him. And now this is the result. He's just woken up so I offered again, but he's not having it. I will have to go and express some before bed.

Thank you for being kind! thlsmile

Nickname1980 Tue 25-Oct-16 21:44:58

Oh gosh why bash?! No reason to!

First DC was longest for me (13 months). Second was 7 months - a mix between him being ready and me being ready. It does feel strangely emotional, I know how you feel, but breastfeeding has to be right for you both. I remember with my two that i kind of took note of the last feed, took a mental photograph of it. That was a nice way to end bf.

I'm due to have number 3 and plan to see how it goes in terms of how long. No pressure on myself or them. (I say that now, but none of the bf emotions have started yet!!)

I know it feels emotional now, but - like pps have said - onto the next chapter for you both! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now