At wits end with breastfeeding issues

(5 Posts)
Cosycottage4 Tue 11-Oct-16 13:31:26

Bit of background: I suffered terribly from mastitis and an enormous abscess when DD was 5 weeks old and eventually stopped bf on advice of doctors as I just wasn't getting better (was admitted to hospital several times-it was a truly horrendous experience) Abscess started to get better once I stopped and DD got on well with formula. I was desperately sad to stop bf but being well/out of hospital was the most important thing and allowed me to actually care for and bond with my DD without sobbing through excruciating feeds.

Fast forward 2.5 years and I now have DS (2 weeks). We've had bf issues from the start-poor latch causing pain/supply issues in abscess boob and now we both have thrush. It is honestly the most agonising pain I have experienced aside from labour. We are both being treated but I'm terrified to put him on as the pain is so bad.

He's on 3 formula feeds a day now to give the boobs a bit of a break but he seems much less settled after a bottle feed, which breaks my heart.

Right now I am trying to decide whether to give up completely or try to struggle through the pain in the hope that we can come out the other side and mixed feed. I am also terrified that the longer I continue to bf I may encounter the same problems as last time, which would be a nightmare.

Would love to hear others experiences of either pushing on or giving up in the face of adversity... Thanks if you've got this far x

mouldycheesefan Tue 11-Oct-16 13:38:17

I gave up after my dds failed to latch in even once in six weeks, I had no milk supply, mastitis, etc etc I was expressing milk as they couldn't latch. . I wish I had given up earlier. Too much time spent being anxious about bloody breast feeding! Looking back I should have quit with it earlier. My dds are in great health, one hasn't had a day off school in 3 years! They never get ill they are intelligent and strong and healthy.

Cosycottage4 Tue 11-Oct-16 13:42:46

Thanks mouldy, that's exactly how I felt a couple of weeks after I gave up with DD-and she too is super healthy, so I know it didn't do her any harm.

It's more the closeness that I will miss I think-particularly because he's fussy with bottles, so it's not a very enjoyable experience for either of us. It's all made worse by the wretched hormones...I promised myself I wouldn't put pressure on myself this time. Ugh!

mouldycheesefan Tue 11-Oct-16 13:56:39

Mine were in scbu for weeks so I had every kind of midwife, nurse, breastfeeding counsellor etc in the hospital helping and it still didn't work. I found it hard to pluck up the courage to say, enough, We are moving to formula. But it was a massive relief and it also meant that we could leave hospital when I finally did. I wished I had done it sooner the first months should be special not battling with bloody feeding issues! There is way too much pressure on mums in my opinion. Sil came to visit me in hospital from abroad she was horrified at the pressure to breastfeed.
I don't think it affected closeness of anything it made feeding a peaceful time (apart from the reflux...) rthare than something to be endured.
Good luck whatever you choose. 💐

OhWhatAPalaver Thu 13-Oct-16 10:16:43

Just a thought but a friend was in a similar situation and she switched to Nanny care goats milk formula, no more issues with bottle feeding after that!
As it goes I've got mastitis for the second time and feel rough. Seriously considering formula soon but kind of too scared to do so in case dd2 is allergic. Dd1 has a reaction to aptamil baby porridge so I'm a bit paranoid about these things!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now