Has anyone ever implemented a successful mixed feeding regime early on and managed to keep it up for a while?

(18 Posts)
dodi1978 Sat 08-Oct-16 11:11:59

A bit of history...

- DS1 born at 36+1, uncomplicated birth
- jaundiced from the start
- fully breastfeed for a week, some struggles with latching etc.
- after a week readmitted to hospital for blue light treatment as jaundice - - not improving, on night in SCABU as blue lights on ward not enough
- at this point, strict regime of three hourly feeds was introduced (book first, then bottle plus expressing for next feed; still struggles with latching - each cycle could take as much as two hours - as this regime nearly broke me I decided, after two and a half weeks, to only offer the boob twice a day and otherwise formula feed only
- That strategy maintained my sanity and I made my peace with it. Unfortunately, I was only able to maintain any boob supply for ten weeks, by which time I had to stop altogether.

Never mind, mixed feeding suited me and I made my peace with it to an extent that, this time round I actually wanted to go for mixed feeding, although maybe not quite that early.

So, let's move to DS2, who is now 9 days old
- born at 39+0, uncomplicated birth
- diagnosed as tongue tied on day 1 and jaundiced on day 2 sad - couldn't believe how parallel things went!
- nevertheless, fed much better from boob from the start, no struggles latching although a bit of boob pain
- introduced a bit of formula before my milk even came in because of our previous history and had the odd formula feed after my milk was in
- tongue tie cut on day 5, feeding seemed to go well (baby often coming away from boob with mil running out of mouth), no struggles latching
- unfortunately, now on day 9, still hardly any weight gain, so advised to go on three hourly feeds with formula top up afterwards. Midwife suggested that, given my history, it just seems as if I am one of those who just doesn't produce enough for baby. Fair enough!
- will follow that advice, as I certainly don't want us to be readmitted this time round! Baby will be weighed again in two days to check whether this regime works
- been told not to express unless I feel really relaxed and up for it... I have tried last night and only got 5ml out

So my question is - has anyone every implemented a successful mixed feeding regime that had to start so early on, and, crucially, managed to maintain it for longer? As I said, I really don't mind mixed feeding as such, but would quite like to maintain it a bit longer than the first time round.

So, after that shock a bit piece of cake for me!

ImperialBlether Sat 08-Oct-16 11:15:12

I bf my daughter for 18 months and she had soy ff for a lot of that time. I had mastitis when she was a few weeks old, which particularly affected one breast and it was never very good for bf after that. My son was solely bf for 12 months.

EsmesBees Sat 08-Oct-16 11:16:15

I mix fed for ten months, but through choice rather than because it was recommended. So, she was ebf at the start, then I Introduced a bottle at bedtime around 6 wks and all the other feeds were bfed and we continued like that til I went back to work. It was mainly so I could get a bit of a break and it meant that DH could do some bedtimes.

SpeakNoWords Sat 08-Oct-16 11:21:15

I had to start with mixed feeding with DS1 and DS2. I managed to drop the expressing and formula in both cases after a few weeks. It's hard work expressing, bottle feeding and direct breastfeeding, it's so time consuming.

I'm surprised no one has suggested breastfeeding more frequently than 3 hourly. Also, switch feeding to try and up your supply.

dodi1978 Sat 08-Oct-16 11:26:28

Thanks for replies.

I think the three hourly is just the maximum time between feeds. If he shows any signs of waking up / being hungry earlier, I'll certainly put him on!

I think that regime is up till Monday now as it is essential to flush the jaundice out. I actually fully agree with it - I don't want the dramatic readmission to hospital from last time.

Maybe over time, I can drop the occasional formula feed.

Just given myself a big slap around the face and coming to peace with it :-)!

pestov Sat 08-Oct-16 11:36:17

I had to mix feed from day 2, boob then expressed then formula from a cup. Took forever! Gradually Dropped to boob in day and mixed at night around 3w; tongue tie finally snipped at 5w. Have been EBF ever since and now 8m.

A friend with a baby the same age feeds 1-2 bottles a day as baby wouldn't BF outside the house and has done for about 6 months.

pestov Sat 08-Oct-16 11:40:14

Remember to time from the start of each feed too, not the end. I was much closer to 2hrs at day 9

DropZoneOne Sat 08-Oct-16 11:48:15

I did with DD. She was prem so I was expressing initially and when she came home after 4 weeks, I switched to bf. A couple of weeks in and I struggled in the evenings so would express in the mornings whilst she fed on one side, and DH used that to give her a bottle in the evening. As time went on, she needed more and I couldn't keep up with expressing so evening bottle became formula. Kept that up until she was 9 months - bf during day and ff at night.

Nottalotta Sun 09-Oct-16 15:15:24

Can't comment on the mixed feeding but just wanted to say ds didn't regain his birth weight for three weeks, fully bf (constant.....) and no tongue tie etc. I don't think it's too unusual for bf babies to take a bit longer.

SofiaAmes Sun 09-Oct-16 15:21:33

My dd had hidden reflux and was ebf. Starting at about 3 months I had to substitute one of her feeds with a special stay down formula. She happily switched back and forth and bfing continued until she was 11 months.

Teammck05 Sun 09-Oct-16 15:26:58

Our first was born at 35 weeks, jaundice as well. Pretty similar story to yourself. Weight gain slow, back in hospital after 8 days and needed ng tube down to feed. Got him home and he was feeding g all the time but with little weight gain. Introduced one formula feed of 7 oz on week 7 myself as well as bf every 3hours. This helped flush the jaundice and we then successfully combination fed for 10months. Only stopped breast feeding then as his teeth had come in and I couldn't stop him bitting me.

FabFiveFreddie Sun 09-Oct-16 15:27:49

I mixed fed DC 1 for 6 months. Both boobs at each feed followed by formula top up if required (nearly always was).

Baby decided at 6mo to stop bf. Have to say I was relieved.

Teammck05 Sun 09-Oct-16 15:31:54

Remember those 3 hourly feeds as if it was yesterday, setting the alarm for through the night. Only had to do it until the jaundice was gone which was when DS1 reached what his estimated birth weight would have been if born at 40 weeks. Think he was helping me out coming early as he should have been 10lbs instead of 6lbs 7.

dodi1978 Mon 10-Oct-16 01:07:03

Thanks everyone. At the moment, I am quite ok with our regime. We are also more on about 2 1/2 hours, but he goes a bit longer in the night and the early morning

dodi1978 Mon 10-Oct-16 01:13:22

Sent too early as DS attached....

The midwife wasn't too worried about him not having regained birthweight yet, but about the lak of any upward trajectory, give our history with DS1.

Another weigh in tomorrow, let's see what it brings!

Bumptittybump Tue 11-Oct-16 11:11:15

We were put on a 3 hourly try to breast feed then formula top up regime as our twins were on the small side and the hospital midwives did not want them to drop from birth weight too much. It nearly killed us too. Luckily they both latched well and my milk supply was good so we dropped the top ups at about 2 weeks on advice of a fantastic & supportive community midwife. Still kept a late evening bottle - usually formula as I never seemed to fit in expressing. Tandem breast fed on demand during the day. I was told important just to breast feed as much as possible to build supply and keep and any bottle feeding to a specific time(s) of day, however to ensure milk supply is stimulated in the early hours of the morning as this is a crucial time for building supply in the early days/weeks. I struggled with the tandem breast feeding at this time in the night though so hired a hospital grade double pump and managed to pump a bottle each at 2/3 am which they were fed straight away. Once feeds were quick enough to feed individually dropped the expressing and just breast fed directly for the night feed. Kept the evening bottle until about 3/4 months as could then get DH to do it and I could have an early night.

Nicketynac Mon 17-Oct-16 16:05:15

DD has been mixed fed from a few days old, initially for poor growth but then we kept going with formula at bedtime to give me a rest and to let DH feel more involved. She is almost seven months old and still doing both, plus the odd bottle during the day if my Mum is watching her.

dodi1978 Mon 17-Oct-16 19:27:11

Thanks everyone, this is reassuring! So far things are going well. I think my supply is now, 2 1/2 weeks in, already much better established than it ever was with DS1. No wonder, this regime is far less stressful and I feel good doing it. Young man is gaining weight, too and we have been told today that he has outgrown his jaundice - yeah!

Nevertheless, I would now like to move to a regime in which, instead of doing breast and then formula top up, I do full breastfeeds and full formula feeds. Will post a follow-up thread on this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now