Anyone used an SNS?

(9 Posts)
goldenpineapple Tue 27-Sep-16 19:55:08

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with using an SNS? I'm due my first baby in the next few weeks and am most likely going to have supply issues due to previous breast surgery. From what I can see, the only one available in the UK is the Medela one, but the Lact-Aid from the US seems to have much better reviews. Has anyone ordered and used one successfully? Quite an expense if I don't get on with it, but at the same time I am desperately trying to have everything in place to give myself the best chance with breastfeeding. TIA.

AndNowItsSeven Tue 27-Sep-16 19:58:20

Yes, I used the medela with my "failure to thrive" baby , it's very faffy but it does work.

AndNowItsSeven Tue 27-Sep-16 19:59:47

Fenugreek capsules were also helpful and prescription domperidone ( you may struggle to get a prescription now).

Sunflower1985 Tue 27-Sep-16 20:00:08

Hello. I used one when my supply was not enough. I made my own though. Using an infant feeding tube bought online and a normal milk bottle with a little hole cut out. I made a little pouch to wear around my neck with the bottle in and as long as it's higher than baby's head to begin with it works. One end of the tube goes in the bottle with formula and the other in the corner of baby's mouth. Took a little practise but it saved our bf relationship.
Have you got a group you could go to now for hints and tips?
Hth.

icclemunchy Tue 27-Sep-16 20:01:37

Do you have a local la leche group? I know a lady who comes to mine had a great deal of support using one to feed her prem baby and I believe they were also able to help her source one

Sunflower1985 Tue 27-Sep-16 20:03:38

Here is the link for the YouTube video I watched before putting together my supplemental nursing system.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cam9CFSi4qw

And some pics

goldenpineapple Tue 27-Sep-16 21:41:51

Seven did you take fenugreek capsules before the baby arrived, or start taking them after? Definitely up for trying this, have read good things. Would prefer to try natural supplements but the LC at the hospital did also mention Domperidone being a possibility.

Sunflower thanks for that - will definitely look into it. I bought an infant feeding tube from a lactation consultant today for just having a go with.

iccle I don't have a particularly local LL group (I don't drive which doesnt help) but I did meet with a LL lactation consultant today who was very helpful. Trying to source as much support as possible.

I have found someone on my local FB bf page who is selling a Lact Aid SNS for less than half the price of buying one new - any reason I shouldn't use a second hand one? As long as I sterilise it all its OK right?

Thanks for replies all.

AndNowItsSeven Tue 27-Sep-16 22:02:37

I took the fenugreek after my ds was born, it does make you skin smell a bit though grin

goldenpineapple Tue 27-Sep-16 22:30:54

Ha, yes I have read that! I like the smell of it though (when I put it in curries anyway!) and will be a small price to pay if it helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now