Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep Machine - advice!

(16 Posts)
meg180611 Mon 19-Sep-16 11:09:55

Hi, hoping other users of this can advise. I have read loads online about the perfect prep making bottles that are too much for a new born (lowest setting is 4 oz, recommended 1.5 to 2oz) so I am trying to think how to solve this. Could I make 1 4oz bottle, and pour 2oz into another sterilised bottle, and whack it in the fridge for the next feed which will be in a couple of hours anyway? and do this for all feeds throughout the day and night? I know there is loads on not making bottles in advance, but surely a couple of hours and if cooled properly won't be dangerous for baby? I know all babies are different and some can be more hungry than others but dont anticipate newborn wanting 4oz per feed...

This is my first baby, and never done this before so please be kind if what i am saying is ridiculous....

ElspethFlashman Mon 19-Sep-16 11:11:54

Yeah I imagine that would be fine. I think it's 2 hrs max you can have it in the fridge but look it up. I can't see how it would do any harm. But put it at the back rather than in the door.

ElspethFlashman Mon 19-Sep-16 11:12:46

They won't need 4oz for ages. Quite annoying feature of the PP, I agree.

NannyR Mon 19-Sep-16 11:14:22

If you are making 2 oz bottles to start with I would just make them as and when you need them with boiling water and cool them under cold running water. Such a small amount will cool to a drinkable temperature very quickly.

meg180611 Mon 19-Sep-16 11:15:36

Thanks Elspeth! It is very annoying...i'm sure the next model they bring out will address this issue as most posts regarding it have this as a major gripe! Great machine though, looking forward to using it

honeysucklejasmine Mon 19-Sep-16 11:15:48

Sorry, not a good idea. If you make bottles up in advance, you can store in fridge no problem, but you need to "flash cool" it first I.e. hold under a running tap until cold. Youll then need to reheat in a jug of hot water, as microwaves are not recommended due to hot spots in the milk.

If this won't work for you (based on time delay of reheating the milk), it might be better to look in to the ready made bottles? Pour out what you need and pop the rest in the fridge - must be used within 24 hours. You'll need to warm the remains again though, of course.

I found the quickest way to reheat was to pop the formula in a breast milk storage bag, and place in bowl of hot water. It lets it take on a bigger surface area, and it's a thin bag, so didn't take as long to warm.

meg180611 Mon 19-Sep-16 11:20:29

Thanks NannyR and Honeysucklejasmine for the advice!

Honeysucklejasmine - Would a bottle heater suffice? I got one with my steriliser set, but have read that they take ages...but if its a small amount then would be quicker? Also, does flash cooling apply even if the bottle made my the prep machine is at the perfect temp for baby?

mangocoveredlamb Mon 19-Sep-16 11:25:14

I think the smallest amount it makes is 4oz because that allows the machine to put enough hot water to sterilise the powder and then get to drinkable temp.

I just used ready made before then, or as others have said 2oz will cool really quickly under running water!

meg180611 Mon 19-Sep-16 11:30:27

OK thanks! I think i'll go for the ready made option for nights, don't fancy dealing with boiling water and cooling while baby is up through the night.

mangocoveredlamb Mon 19-Sep-16 11:37:57

Get a little beer fridge from Argos to keep upstairs for the readymade bottled formula once it's open!

PotatoBread Mon 19-Sep-16 11:40:58

I used to just make the 4oz in a bottle and make sure baby only took half. It's a waste of formula but that time period doesn't last for long. DD is now 10 weeks and now on 5 scoops, occasionally 6.

ohidoliketobe Mon 19-Sep-16 11:45:30

I just make up 4oz. My 10 day old is having just over 2oz with some feeds. Plus I find making more than I know she'll drink reduces wind - make sure there's always formula in the teat (which holds approx 1oz) means she can't gulp down air

Fuzzywuzzywasabear Mon 19-Sep-16 11:51:17

We started off splitting the 4oz into 2 bottles but bow we just make up a 4oz bottle as it's not worth the hassle and as PP has said the teat holds loads so they end up taking loads of air with only 2oz.

meg180611 Mon 19-Sep-16 13:01:00

Thanks ladies, really appreciate all the advice!x

meg180611 Mon 19-Sep-16 13:01:09

meg180611 Mon 19-Sep-16 13:01:24

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now