Sleeping through and preserving supply

(5 Posts)
PetrovaFossil1 Sun 11-Sep-16 02:47:10

Hi, my 5.5 month old has just started sleeping fairly long stretches at night without a feed (10pm-6.30am).

I wake up with 2 very full breasts and he can't finish them both. Should I be pumping in the night to keep my supply up? If no night feed, he normally feeds 5/6 times when awake.

Feelingthelove Sun 11-Sep-16 04:54:34

Hi, I'm no expert however I was led to believe that your milk supply will adapt to babies changing needs and demands. Therefore if baby doesn't need a night feed any more I wouldn't express in the night and allow your supply to adjust naturally. With a hope that in a few days your morning feed will have adjusted to the amount he needs too. Obviously however if you're really uncomfortable it might be worth taking a bit off to help you get comfy in the night? Hope this helps xx

popthisoneout Sun 11-Sep-16 05:20:48

No need to pump at this age. I would hand express a bit just for comfort and to prevent engorgement and mastitis and they will adjust. Enjoy the sleep!

Hamsolo Sun 11-Sep-16 05:46:43

No, your body will adjust back if he starts wanting a night feed again, though hopefully he won't now that he can sleep through.

WishIWasSleeping Mon 12-Sep-16 11:14:17

Hi, if you're planning on sending your little one to nursery before you cease breast milk feeding I would suggest you express as much as you can for now. Your supply will diminish over time anyway and you won't be as full when you want to express.
My 8mo increased her bottled BM feeds by 20ml when starting nursery, along with eating proper food, and I'm struggling to keep up with her demands as pumping at work does not yield the same amount of milk as a direct breast feed.
You can store BM in the freezer for 6months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now