9 week old - is this much feeding normal?

(14 Posts)
Jazzapples Fri 09-Sep-16 19:55:33

My DS is 9 weeks old and breastfed. He was feeding pretty much non stop until a tongue tie was diagnosed and snipped at 6 weeks. He's getting milk more easily now and my nipples have stopped hurting but I'm worried that he's still feeding very frequently- at least every hour during the day but sometimes wanting to go back on after 15 mins. He only wakes to feed once or twice during the night (we're co-sleeping as he can't go more than 30mins sleeping by himself) but online it says babies of 9 weeks should be feeding 4-6 times in 24hrs- I've sometimes fed him that much before breakfast! And it makes it so hard to get out of the house! He can go a bit longer in the sling than the pram but not much. He is following his centile line so HVs aren't worried about weight gain but I'm worried this isn't normal. Also, often when he's on the boob he's sucking for comfort rather than doing audible swallows, but nothing else will settle him- he won't take a dummy. As you can probably guess, he's my first baby and I don't have much experience of babies so don't know if this is normal or when it might get better! Would appreciate any thoughts or advice!

aaahhhBump Fri 09-Sep-16 19:57:55

You're doing wonderful.

They are all different. Could be a growth spurt.

Is he a bit pukey?

Jazzapples Fri 09-Sep-16 20:06:07

Thank you! That's really nice to hear. Some half digested milk often dribbles out when I put him on his back but not loads.

aaahhhBump Fri 09-Sep-16 20:17:30

No worries.

Getting out of bed and into the living was a win for us some days.

Now 18 months and walking. Doesn't last for ever. We swaddled with arms up at her face and she started self soothing. Hth

DouglasFirs Fri 09-Sep-16 20:43:45

I don't think the 4-6 feeds a day you read about sounds right, that seems very little!

DouglasFirs Fri 09-Sep-16 20:47:24

But also, if he's feeding lots for comfort rather than actually taking milk, maybe you could try a sling so he gets the closeness and might go longer before wanting to be back on the boob?!

Givemecoffeeplease Fri 09-Sep-16 20:48:00

Sounds like you are doing brilliantly. Your baby will slow down soon enough and the feeds WILL start to space out organically. Don't worry - you are a fab mum feeding on demand and ensuring lots of snuggles brewcake

Ruthiesj Fri 09-Sep-16 20:48:38

If he's otherwise happy and content, I'd stop worrying about the time and frequency of feeds - there's no one normal, so just about everything is!

idontlikealdi Fri 09-Sep-16 20:50:08

I know it's different but my FF DTs were on anything from 8-12 feeds at that age. 4-6 sounds unlikely!

allthecarbs Fri 09-Sep-16 20:51:40

You're doing a great job!
Every baby is different and he's obviously just hungry at the moment. If you think he's sucking for comfort do encourage him to come off and offer a dummy if you like but don't get hung up on it.
As PP said it doesn't last forever and as he gets a bit older you'll be able to distract him with other things.

Keep up the good work smile

Daytona79 Sat 10-Sep-16 07:00:35

Breastfeeding is on demand and can be very frequent don't Denie or remove him and try and substitute it for something like a dummy

BF babies cannot over eat if he wants it give it to him

Rinceoir Sat 10-Sep-16 07:10:34

My DD fed at least 12-16 times a day at that age, and like your DS slept well at night. I was delighted she slept at night so was happy to feed her whenever! She definitely went longer between feeds when in sling/pram so if I needed a break we would head out!

angelicjen Sat 10-Sep-16 19:21:27

Ignore that! It sounds normal to me. Exhausting but normal.

Jazzapples Sat 10-Sep-16 19:36:08

Thank you everyone for your advice- it's much appreciated!! I feel reassured and will carry on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now