Confused about sterilising bottles

(16 Posts)
DappledThings Sat 27-Aug-16 22:17:15

DS is 6 months and has the occasional bottle. I am very confused about sterilising as it's so occasional and haven't found the answer via Google.

We have an electric steriliser. When he's had a bottle it gets washed in hot soapy water then sterilised and then left to air-dry before going back in the cupboard. Apparently if it's more than a few hours bottles should be re-sterilised which we haven't been doing.

DH is going to give him a bottle for first feed at 7 tomorrow so I get a lie-in. So I've just run another bottle through the steriliser and would normally now take all the bits out to air-dry then it would get used. But if it's not sterile after a certain amount of time was it pointless doing it now? Is it OK to use a bottle that's still all wet from the steriliser? Are they meant to be left I there to dry instead of in the air?

I'm really confused and feeling somewhat stupid!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 27-Aug-16 22:19:31

I think by 6 months as long as the bottle is super clean it'll be fine.

dementedpixie Sat 27-Aug-16 22:19:44

Once sterilised, assemble them and they are OK for 24 hours. I wouldnt leave them to air dry first.

Soubriquet Sat 27-Aug-16 22:19:57

Once removed from the steraliser unless covered, the teats are no longer sterile. They are always going to be a bit damp. Air drying them means they are no longer sterile. But I wouldn't worry too much. If your ds has gone this long without getting sick you're obviously doing something right. It's the milk that's the risk anyway.

dementedpixie Sat 27-Aug-16 22:20:38

It's more important to use hot water for the formula than to resterilise a clean bottle

Shootingstar2289 Sat 27-Aug-16 22:23:37

I used an electric steriliser. I used to sterilise all of my daughters bottles and leave them in the steriliser until needed. I believe they stay sterile for 24 hours (on instructions I believe) but I used to sterilise every 12. My daughter is now 13 months. I still use the steriliser but not so much!

If I was to sterilise a bottle tonight, id definitely still consider it sterilised first thing in the morning to use.

I used to give my bottles a quick shake to remove excess water before use.

I often used to make my bottles up in advance though. So I would: sterilise, make up bottles, cool them and store in fridge and then warm when needed.

I have to healthy babies using this method! smile

MollyRedskirts Sat 27-Aug-16 22:24:37

You're not stupid. If you are, I am too, because my DS2 is ten months old and I was just as baffled when he was around six months, despite having done it before with DS1.

You're right - the bottles won't be sterile. In fact, they aren't sterile as soon as you open the steriliser, but they're good enough. You should be leaving them in there and using them wet, and if all of them don't get used within 24 hours, take them out, wipe out the steriliser and then resterilise them.

But, at six months old, it doesn't matter as much now. Think of all the things your baby is shoving in their mouth! At six months old, DS was licking the cat. If you're happy with how you're doing it, carry on. They're definitely clean, after all.

DappledThings Sat 27-Aug-16 22:26:19

Thanks all. Bottle tomorrow will be expressed milk not formula in case that makes a difference.

I think in my head still damp meant breeding ground for germs whereas dry meant cleaner. I realise this makes me sound ridiculous. Will leave in steriliser now then.

Thanks again!

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sat 27-Aug-16 22:27:01

Which electric steriliser do you have? Our is a tommee tippee and it will stay sterile for 12hrs after running. So stick the bottles in now, run it and then just leave them in there overnight until needed in the morning. The bottles don't need to air dry.

DS was BF until 9months and then FF. We're not sterilising as much now he's nearly one, we just run the bottles through once every couple of days. Always sterilise if we're making up a bottle in advance though.

dementedpixie Sat 27-Aug-16 22:27:17

Its best to assemble them after sterilising as then the teats are covered by the bottle lid.

OsMalleytheCat Sat 27-Aug-16 22:28:17

I used to wash them (just with hot soapy water with the rest of the washing up) after use then sterilise them before using them I would rinse them with boiling water
Hth

dementedpixie Sat 27-Aug-16 22:28:30

Although they will stay sterilise for a few hours if you don't open the steriliser

lastnightiwenttomanderley Sat 27-Aug-16 22:30:13

Also, EBM is less of a risk than formula as it has a level of antibacterial magic. Making formula up in advance is the most 'risky' so we're most careful with that.

He french kisses the dog though, so I figure we have bigger issues...

AnnaT45 Sat 27-Aug-16 22:31:40

I was told you don't have to sterilise if using expressed milk as it has antibacterial properties?! I was always unsure so did anyway.

But at 6 months like others have said I think you're ok. I always remember a friend whose little boy was 6 months said to me 'no I don't sterilise bottles anymore. I caught him licking the Windows yesterday so think he'll be ok' grin

DappledThings Sat 27-Aug-16 22:34:26

He did have a good chew on his grandmother's dog's blanket today so maybe the bottles being sterile really isn't important!

albertcampionscat Sat 27-Aug-16 22:35:16

Baffles me too. Doesn't help that the US advice is not to bother with sterilising past the first use:

mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/2013/12/18/ask-well-how-to-clean-baby-bottles/?referer=

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now