Hungry baby milk?

(8 Posts)
GipsyDanger Sat 20-Aug-16 12:24:14

I have recently switched my ebf baby to formula. He is 5 months. He will sometimes finish his 7os bottle but more often leaves about 1 or 2os. He seems hungry again after a couple of hours sometimes less. Is this what hungry baby milk is for? He's in 75th centile for weight, had a huge growth spurt, was in 25/30 range.

tiktok Sat 20-Aug-16 12:30:54

Prob worth a chat with your Hv. That feeding pattern is not abnormal and the growth spurt is not abnormal either.

PotatoBread Sun 28-Aug-16 11:06:41

I think hungry baby milk has extra calories in it so is aimed at babies who need to put on weight. I've heard that it can also cause constipation. I would just continue to use regular formaula if I were you as his eating pattern doesn't seem abnormal but yes, talk to HV about it

unimagmative13 Mon 29-Aug-16 22:10:11

Sound complete my normal, don't use hungry baby milk just stick to first milk. Baby feed often.

SpeakNoWords Mon 29-Aug-16 22:33:05

So called "hungry baby" formula doesn't have any extra calories in it, it is simply harder for babies to digest. The idea is that babies feel fuller for longer as it is harder for them to digest the milk, so making them go longer between feeds. This is not proven however, it's only a theory.

katiegg Mon 29-Aug-16 22:45:04

I used hungry baby milk for ds. it doesn't have extra calories, as SpeakNoWords posted, the make up of it is slightly different so it takes longer for baby to digest, meaning they feel fuller for longer. Ds was a big baby, drinking huge quantities of milk so we switched to hungry baby milk when he was about 4.5 months old. it helped enormously and he was much more content. he didn't have any problems with constipation but a know this can be a common occurrence. We switched one bottle at a time, so day one his first morning bottle was hungry baby milk and the rest were 'normal' milk, day three the first two bottles were hungry baby milk and the rest normal etc.

doghairinmytea Mon 29-Aug-16 23:05:45

Sounds exactly like my DS. I feed him EBM and top up with formula, as his appetite has increased my milk production hasn't so he's having more formula. He used to scream for more food then throw it up. Switching to hungry baby milk has pretty much stopped this and he goes for longer between feeds.a

Pumpkin2010 Tue 30-Aug-16 22:46:56

Don't use hungry baby milk. Constipates the babies & Is just higher in a certain protein so sits in baby's stomach longer as is harder to digest. HPs actually wouldn't recommend it.

Your baby's feeding pattern sounds completely normal tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now