10 day old getting much more possetting/vomiting (tongue tie/reflux/CMPI?)

(8 Posts)
SusanAndBinkyRideForth Tue 16-Aug-16 13:39:59

Ds has over the past couple of days increased the amount he possets to practically bringing back up each entire feed, then wanting to feed again.
He does have a very obvious tongue tie to the tip of his tongue that was initially causing pain on feeding and heart shaped tongue tip, but seems to be stretching now so most feeds are pain free (with careful positioning). He can stick his tongue out to cover his bottom lip but no further. He is booked to have it snipped.

He always needs winding - very burpy baby, presumably due to the tongue tie?

Anyway - I'm wondering if this vomiting could be just the tongue tie, or is it more likely to be reflux or CMPI? Dd1&2 were both CMPI but had more obvious symptoms such as blood and mucus in the poo, frothy green poo, blotchy eczema, bright red ring around anus etc. He has none of these. Yet.

Any ideas anyone?

SusanAndBinkyRideForth Thu 18-Aug-16 15:48:59

Anyone?

SpeakNoWords Thu 18-Aug-16 17:59:16

Is he bringing up a large amount after each feed, or just now and then? If it's a large amount after each feed i think I'd get a medical opinion on what's going on.

SusanAndBinkyRideForth Thu 18-Aug-16 18:48:41

A fair amount. Probably anything from a teaspoon to 2 tablespoons? Varies

SpeakNoWords Thu 18-Aug-16 19:00:29

Some babies are more sicky than others I think. If he's otherwise happy and putting on weight as expected then it may just be the way he is for now, until his digestive system matures.

muddypuddled Thu 18-Aug-16 19:06:30

My daughter's tongue tie caused her to take in a lot of air and consequently would then bring up entire feeds with wind. Once her tongue tie was resolved (she stretched it herself, it was only slight so wasn't cut) she stopped clicking when feeding and also then vomiting.

Rabbiting0n Fri 19-Aug-16 11:01:30

My DD was tongue-tie and had a milk allergy so I cut out dairy and she was fine; no more sickness, grizzling, blood or mucus in poo.

My DS (who is two months old) is very grizzly, has a lot of trouble with wind and possessing. He screams in agony and cannot settle. His weight rapidly began to drop, despite me cutting out dairy again. He's never had the blood or mucus in his poo, so it's not currently clear if he has a milk allergy or not, but a doctor did say he had a floppy larynx and when I looked it up, it can be linked to vomiting problems etc.

We've been referred to a paediatrician at hospital, who now sees him every few weeks because of his weight issues, and although he is sick a bit, he's not sick as much as your LO, by the sound of things. If I were you, I'd go to the doctor and ask for a referral, because GPs tend to spout the usual (try Gaviscon etc.) whereas paeds will look at potential medical problems, rather than claiming it's just part and parcel of having a newborn.

SusanAndBinkyRideForth Sun 21-Aug-16 10:19:43

Hmm I really hope it's not CMPI as I love cheese!

The last few days he has been a lot less sicky - but then I've made a point of holding him upright for half an hour after each feed - which is a pain for the night feeds as he does feed-poo-feed, so once I've done nappy change and held him upright it's been about an hour and a half and I'm wide awake!

Hopefully it will continue to improve, and more after the tongue tie snip as well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now