Toddler meal times are soul destroying

(13 Posts)
MilkyChops Wed 10-Aug-16 08:52:50

Just putting it out there.

I used to have one of those babies that ate everything (apary from mash).

Now I have a picky toddler who won't eat hot food, only picks and throws it on the floor if he doesn't like it.

He has 4 canines coming which I'm blaming for now.

Why throw a perfectly good portion of spag bol on the floor? Mummy could have eaten that grin

TeaBelle Wed 10-Aug-16 08:55:21

When dd goes through these phases I give really really small portionsportions and refill the bowl as needed so that I can minimise the amount that goes on the cat!

BrianButterfield Wed 10-Aug-16 08:57:02

Look up what size toddler portions really should be - you're probably putting too much food out, I know I was.

Jayne266 Wed 10-Aug-16 08:57:35

How old is your toddler op?

Rainbowunicorn73 Wed 10-Aug-16 09:12:15

I feel your pain, the twin frustrations of having your cooking rejected and having a huge mess to clear up afterwards.
I couldn't honestly say any of these "worked" for us, IE stopped the behaviours as i think they just grow out of it but these things helped:

Put a large wipe clean may under the child's place.
Give a teeny tiny portion and top up as necessary.
Once food was thrown meal time was over.
Eating with him and focusing on my own food rather than trying to shovel more food down him (I think toddlers get overwhelmed by our food expectations)
Getting him to "help" clear up the mess before he was allowed to play after the meal.

The good news is that they do grow out of it.... Eventually grin

Grassgreendashhabi Wed 10-Aug-16 09:21:28

I feel your pain
My one won't eat anything wet
Her dinners are more like lunches

No spag Bol or roast dinner

Dry dry dry

Yesterday she has 3 thin soldiers of toast lunch was cornbeef peas and sweetcorn but most on floor and dinner three marvel size bits of mash

It's so frustrating. She went 6 days of zero food at one point

Doctor has suggested staying on formula until at least 2. So she is getting vitamins twice a day

OhThatThingAgain Wed 10-Aug-16 09:33:11

I just used to top mine up with formula. The dog gained 3kg from 'dropsies' and the vet was not best pleased.

Funnily enough my fussy eater continued to grow. She is better now but still fussy (yet she ate everything while being weaned?).

I just give very small portions and top up the plate. God it's frustrating. I once decided I'd cook nothing but fish fingers and chips or pesto pasta as nothing I made from scratch was ever eaten. I hormonally sobbed to DH that it was all pointless.

Strangely they both eat everything at nursery.

I feel your pain. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Makes me feel less of a crap mother.

MilkyChops Wed 10-Aug-16 13:03:18

He's probably getting enough it's just one of those things. He's 17 months.

He used to love thai curry and all sorts and now just eats fruit, cheese and bread. Meat and veg are the devil.

We haven't got a dog so it's mummy and daddy picking at the leftovers blush

OhThatThingAgain Wed 10-Aug-16 13:20:00

Dogs are good for cleaning up, but they don't do veg either wink

MilkyChops Wed 10-Aug-16 16:56:45

He wouldn't eat the spag bol again tonight. Looked at at it and said 'no'. Dug the spoon in then splatted it at the floor and wall.

Are you meant to offer something else or just leave it?

Only problem is he can get in the fridge and helps himself to fruit.

Ffion3107 Wed 10-Aug-16 17:03:32

Is he actually hungry? Try cutting out some daytime snacks to see if it makes a difference? I don't offer anything else if DD doesn't eat, she isn't fussy so if she refuses to eat, I know she's not hungry. Or she's just too tired.
If bedtime isn't for a while, maybe offer toast before bed? That way he knows you won't make something else for him straight away but also helps if you worry that he hasn't eaten.

MumiTravels Sat 27-Aug-16 18:45:14

Woohoo. The boy has started eating hot food again.

DH is under strict instructions for no afternoon snacks. No sweet stuff apart from some raisins/sultanas at either breakfast or lunch.

This week he has eaten pork stirfry, lamb dinner and lasagne and enjoyed it all with no fussing. It's nice to be able to all sit and enjoy tea together again without it being a battle. He even stole all DHs peas as well as his own the other day.

Not sure how to crack the shit he eats at Grandmas though hmm

OhThatThingAgain Sat 27-Aug-16 21:15:43

Woo hoo! I emptied the snack cupboard today - black bag in front of them. All that is left is a bottle of no sugar squash for drinks, rice cakes, dried fruit and two cups.. Funnily enough they asked for extra rice with dinner tonight.

The cupboard is bare, I may use it as an extra pan/plate storage cupboard. I'm getting tough on this.

We can break them grin High Five!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now