19 month old - still has formula bottles

(9 Posts)
Laurajane86 Tue 09-Aug-16 15:51:54

My 19 month old daughter still has a formula bottle in the morning and sometimes again during the day/in the evening. Is this normal?

She was small at birth, 4ib 14oz, and only weigh's in at 21ib now which the health visiter is not concerned about so the formula bottles are not making her overweight and she eats anything we give her and drinks cows milk on occasion. She just seems to like the formula bottles when she get's up or if she is tired.

Just worried incase I am doing something detrimental.

Thanks confused

spaintrotter Tue 09-Aug-16 15:56:51

Why not switch to full fat cows milk? Dd is not much older than yours and she still drinks 7oz of milk before bed. It's part of her routine and I don't plan on stopping it just yet.

ElspethFlashman Tue 09-Aug-16 16:03:06

Well it's the bottle that's comforting, not the formula. I'd start diluting it. She won't notice if its very gradual. Eventually it'll be bottles of just water. And at least then she won't be still taking formula at say, 2.5.

LIZS Tue 09-Aug-16 16:09:14

Does she eat well otherwise? Using a teat could well affect her teeth.

Laurajane86 Tue 09-Aug-16 16:26:39

She does eat well, literally anything we put in front of her, but she still seems to want a bottle. She does drink cows milk and I give her a cup of it daily but she doesn't seem interested. She will have a few gulps then leave it.

I tried switching the formula with warm water to see if it was the bottle that she wanted and not the contents but she pushes it away until I add the formula. She doesn't have a bottle for any other drinks, she uses a cup.

Missgraeme Tue 09-Aug-16 16:29:21

My 22 month old has the 1-2year formula. He does drink cows milk but asks for 'baby milk'. He only has it morning and night also. He eats really well so doesn't bother rme if he still has it! Don't think there is a hurry to drop it if diet it varied and they aren't fussy!!

NotPennysBoat Tue 09-Aug-16 16:32:44

It's not detrimental to anything except your pocket!! Try switching to full fat cows milk, gradually at first (eg 1oz cows milk, 6oz formula, gradually increasing the ratio).

Think how much money you're wasting on formula that is absolutely not necessary! Then go out and buy yourself (or the DC) something nice smile

MadamDeathstare Tue 09-Aug-16 16:38:54

I gave my DC water in their bottle and milk in sippy cups when were around 12 months. They could still have the bottles if they wanted them for comfort, but weren't bathing their teeth with milk for long periods of time.

DTD2 switched to cow's milk with no problem. With DTD1 I gradually made up formula as normal with water, but would make the sippy cup quarter milk/three quarters formula solutionand then gradually increased the ratio of milk to formula until she was only drinking milk.

She still doesn't like milk and she's a teenager now.

Laurajane86 Tue 09-Aug-16 17:12:06

I will try giving her cows milk tomorrow morning and see if she takes it.

Thanks for the advice guys x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now