Combination feeding

(3 Posts)
Mumzy321 Mon 08-Aug-16 09:17:34

Hi, I'm looking for advice on combination feeding. I'm due my second child in 5 weeks and will have an 11 month old. I'm worried about how much time I'll be able to dedicate to breastfeeding while my 11 month old is on the go.

I managed to breastfeed my eldest child for the first week, however due to a tongue tie it became a real struggle. I haven't had any advice from health visitor.

Any advice greatly appreciated. smile

Liskee Mon 08-Aug-16 18:37:58

Following...

CelloMum3101 Tue 09-Aug-16 21:25:23

I combination fed DD2 for about 3 1/2 months. I'd given up DD1 really quickly at about 2 weeks. Same as you I didn't think that I would be able to EBF and cope with DD1.

I started with BF'ing on demand and including 2oz (increasing the volume as needed) FFs during the day as needed. We always planned to do bedtime bottles to settle her and this has worked really well in terms of sleep. Once DH went back to work we fell into a routine of about 3 bottles, lunch, dinner and bedtime with BF for the rest. I also expressed quite a lot. I would recommend this with combination feeding to maintain flow.

The only drawback was that, by 3 months, DD2 was getting quite difficult to BF and seemed happier with the bottle. It was great having the flexibility though.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now