Newborn with tongue tie - how do I build supply while waiting for the snip?

(20 Posts)
SusanAndBinkyRideForth Mon 08-Aug-16 05:45:30

Snip booked for early next month shock apparently that's the best they can do.

It's getting really sore and he's only 2 days old. I'm trying to be really careful with position and attachment, but it's really hard as he doesn't open his mouth very wide. This is dc3 to be breastfed - dc1 to age 4, tandem fed with dc2 yo age 2.5 (self weaned during this pregnancy) - so you'd think I'd know what im doing!

I've never been able to express either, but ds won't give me a chance anyway as he's permanently latched on, and i need both hands for positioning. I'm also worried he's not getting enough as he's so perma- latched.
It's a really obvious tie with heart shaped tongue tip with frenulum right at the end.

Help!

SusanAndBinkyRideForth Mon 08-Aug-16 05:47:45

Oh and I really don't want to supplement as dc1&2 were both CMPI...

AppleMagic Mon 08-Aug-16 05:51:45

I think the only thing you can really do is feed, feed, feed, which it sounds like he's doing anyway. Maybe some breast compressions? How's his weight gain/nappy output?

Is there any chance you can go private? If not, I'd consider making yourself a bit of a nuisance at the hv clinic and see if they can magic you a slot sooner. I travelled to a different health trust for mine because the next door one was much more pro-snipping them. It was a hv I met at a baby group who happened to know the midwife who ran the tt clinic who managed to pull some strings for me.

SusanAndBinkyRideForth Mon 08-Aug-16 05:55:29

Nappy output and weight gain difficult to tell as he's only 48 hours old! grin um, I'd expect more wet nappies maybe - only had 2, and no poo yesterday - but 3 poo nappies in the first 12 hours so...

SusanAndBinkyRideForth Mon 08-Aug-16 05:56:45

Breast compression I might be able to do later but right now I need both hands for positioning or he slips off sad

amysmummy12345 Mon 08-Aug-16 05:58:45

Lots of feeds, eating oats and taking things like fenugreek to boost supply? Hope you get sorted quickly!!!

SusanAndBinkyRideForth Mon 08-Aug-16 06:00:49

Oh I'd forgotten about oats! Wonder if I can get someone to make me some lactation cookies grin no chance to do it myself - he really is permanently latched. Having a wee/changing pads is a challenge sad

SusanAndBinkyRideForth Mon 08-Aug-16 06:02:12

I'm really struggling tbh, and poor dc1&2 think they've been usurped sad

SusanAndBinkyRideForth Mon 08-Aug-16 06:03:39

I got 2 one hour sleeps last night. Nothing the night before

AppleMagic Mon 08-Aug-16 06:17:14

You must be exhausted. Do you have a midwife visit today? I think you need to be a bit forceful about the situation and try to get the tt prioritised. Explain about the CMPI family history too. You can't go another month like this. It's utterly shit that they make new mum's/babies wait that long and must sabotage the chances of breastfeeding in a lot of cases.

Supercali3228 Mon 08-Aug-16 09:01:33

I feel for you. I don't think it's right either that they make mums wait so long for the procedure. It is exhausting with continuous feeding, you and your baby are both working hard!
To be honest I cracked and got a private midwife to visit me and snip the tongue tie. Cost £150. She booked me in for 5 days time and I was literally counting the hours.
All the best. It all improved dramatically the minute the tongue was snipped for us.
Xx

Orsono Mon 08-Aug-16 09:51:24

In your position, I would look at getting it done privately by a lactation consultant if you possibly can. It's about £150 to do that in my area - they'll come to you and do it at home. I'd say it's worth the money to avoid a month of discomfort or pain.

If that's not possible, then I would wait and see what his weight is doing before worrying too much. My DS1 had a tongue tie, and although it caused me a lot of pain, we had no issues with supply or weight gain, so it might not be an issue.

If it is an issue, I'd get along to a breastfeeding support group and get their advice on getting him latched on. Even though you've breastfed before there are always little tips and tricks they've can show you that can get the best possible latch.

Trying to get it prioritised and moved up is a good idea, but just to warn you, it might not be possible. In my area there's only one NHS doctor who performs them, and she only holds her clinics once a month. There's no other opportunity to get it done on the NHS here.

amysmummy12345 Mon 08-Aug-16 13:07:22

How you doing op? Xxx

SusanAndBinkyRideForth Mon 08-Aug-16 17:19:41

Milk is coming in now so he is having breaks when he's happily asleep and not feeding - so that's great. He's also getting the hang of it better so not so excruciating, but still ouchy. Getting nipple damage on one side despite being really careful with position, but it's not too bad smile
Starting to have wet nappies now, but still no poo, so still not sure he is getting quite enough, but still early days smile

amysmummy12345 Mon 08-Aug-16 22:47:26

Sounds promising, my dd1 used to pinch my nipples rotten at the start confused

CelticPromise Mon 08-Aug-16 23:00:36

Have a Google of exaggerated latch /flipple. It's a way of sort of rolling the nipple into the mouth when they won't open wide. Breast compression while baby is feeding, and expressing if not effective feeding. I would try to get as much into him as possible, would hope to have seen poo by now. Real life bf support is a good idea. Agree a month is a terrible wait and would say please complain, these things need to improve and they won't unless mothers demand a better service.

han01uk Mon 08-Aug-16 23:10:59

Hi. My daughter was also born with a forked tongue full blown tongue tie. She couldn't latch at all so well done for even being able to get your little one started! It sounds like things are going well if your supply is coming in and he is more settled. Try a nipple shield to make you more comfortable...and lots of Lansinoh! And persevere of course,it will get easier and sure once he's had the snip you won't look back!

dollydaydream84 Wed 10-Aug-16 21:49:51

DD had tongue tie when she was born. Nipple shields save my life and nipples! Get some! Express as much as possible even if you get nothing first few days it will come. Took me an hour to express 3oz on the first few weeks I can now get 8oz in about half an hour. Get a decent electric pump too. Good luck. We waited a month for snip and it's not been done properly and not been a miracle cure as DD has latched badly for so long it's slowly improving but she is 7 weeks now

ExtraShot Wed 10-Aug-16 22:04:12

Fenugreek tablets and blessed thistle tea from H&B worked wonders for me! But you will stink of curry!

SusanAndBinkyRideForth Thu 11-Aug-16 15:02:12

Interestingly he seems to be learning to work around the tongue tie, and we are now having mostly pain free feeds as long as I pay attention to positioning!

Is it possible for ties to stretch in the first few days? He still has the heart shaped tip, but can now stick it out further.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now