Vitamin D supplement for breastfed newborns?

(17 Posts)
newroundhere Thu 04-Aug-16 12:07:15

I had a search for this but couldn't find any recent threads - apologies if I have missed any.

DS is 8 days old today. I was just having a look on the NHS website and found the following page suggesting that all breastfed babies should be given vitamin D supplements from birth:

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/vitamins-for-children.aspx

I had no idea that this was recommended and I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned this to me hmm - either at the hospital or in the midwife visits. Did everyone else just know about this? Does everyone give their newborns vitamin D? Do I need to rush out immediately to get some??

Thanks!

Orsono Thu 04-Aug-16 12:10:39

My health visitor told me a few weeks ago that there was no need to give the baby supplements as long as I'm taking vitamin D myself. (It'll probably be your health visitor who mentions it to you - maybe you haven't been handed over to them yet?)

newroundhere Thu 04-Aug-16 12:30:37

Thanks Orsono - no, I haven't seen the Health Visitor yet, think that comes in on day 10. I am taking Vitamin D so hopefully it should be ok...

HopperBusTicket Thu 04-Aug-16 12:37:50

My HV told me (11 months ago) that advice was now that all breast fed babies should be given a vitamin D supplement from birth (she told me this at the 10 day visit). This was despite the fact that I took vitamin D myself during pregnancy and afterwards and my own vitamin D levels were always good and all the vitamin D drops themselves saying they are for use from 1 month old. I don't know if this advice varies by area - we are in London.

I bought drops and put a drop on my nipple before the first morning feed (kept them near the sofa).

29redshoes Thu 04-Aug-16 12:46:31

I had never heard this. I was told at DD's 6 week check that I should be taking a vitamin D supplement if breastfeeding, that was the first time anyone had mentioned vitamin D at all. I'm in London too.

Loraline Thu 04-Aug-16 13:09:02

I'm in London too and was told that i should be taking Vit D but baby wasn't mentioned. When I had DS1we were given vitamin drops to give him when he was a bit older but I can't remember if it was at 6 months or a year.

newroundhere Thu 04-Aug-16 13:59:58

Hmmmm - DH has just asked his Paediatrician friend who has confirmed that general advice is that breastfed babies should be given from soon after birth:

"The Department of Health and the Chief Medical Officers recommend a dose of 7-8.5 micrograms (approx 300 units) for ALL children from six months to five years of age. This is the dose that the NHS ‘Healthy Start’ vitamin drops provide. The ‘Healthy Start’ programme aims to provide vitamins free to people on income support. The British Paediatric and Adolescent Bone Group’s recommendation is that exclusively breastfed infants receive Vitamin D supplements from soon after birth"

Surprised it isn't more well known if this is the case! confused

nennyrainbow Thu 04-Aug-16 14:04:30

I think it's a new recommendation. Didn't do it / wasn't told to for any of mine age 2 to 11. I was advised to take vitamin D myself while breastfeeding though.

Loraline Thu 04-Aug-16 14:39:07

That's what I thought. It's from 6 months (op said from birth).

newroundhere Thu 04-Aug-16 15:01:56

Loraline - its both 6 months + and newborn if EBF:

The British Paediatric and Adolescent Bone Group’s recommendation is that exclusively breastfed infants receive Vitamin D supplements from soon after birth

Oly5 Thu 04-Aug-16 16:38:21

The new advice was only
Issued by Public Health England in the last few weeks. It confirms that breastfed babies should be given Vitamin D.
Breastfeeding mothers should take it too (and all adults on the winter months). Hope that helps

StrawberryQuik Thu 04-Aug-16 18:03:59

I looked on the nhs pages when I was pregnant and it still said breastfeeding mothers should take vitamin D and breastfed infants from 6 months. My DS is almost 4 months...so yup, brand new advice. Interestingly my friend who lives in Spain was told to give vitamin D from birth. Her DS is a year old.

I take a vitamin D tablet every day and when I start weaning I'll start mixing vitamin drops into his food.

Orsono Fri 05-Aug-16 07:20:05

It's confusing - the NHS website says you should give a breastfed baby a supplement, but it doesn't mention whether the mother can take them instead / as well. I have a health visitor appointment next week so I'm going to ask again!

43percentburnt Fri 05-Aug-16 07:27:45

Depends on the hospital, one said ebf dts should take them, the other said no need!

The difference between the policy in the two hospitals amazed me - I thought policy would be pretty standardised - it really isn't!

Staff at one hospital told me I required 6 days of blood thinning injections - the other said 6 weeks. A bit of a difference.

Nousername2015 Fri 05-Aug-16 09:08:18

My ds is 6 months and I was advised to continue to take the same vitamins I took while pregnant while I was breastfeeding, although vitamin d wasn't mentioned on it's own in this conversation.
My hv told me to start giving ds a vitamin d drop from 6 months, I also got a trial bottle of drops in the last bounty pack I received. I just put a drop on a clean finger and ds sucks it.

DocMcFanjo Fri 05-Aug-16 20:39:06

I'm in Ireland and all babies here are advised to have daily vitamin d for the first year of life- breast or bottle fed.

ame advice for DD1 two and a half years ago so it's been standard over here for a while.

DocMcFanjo Fri 05-Aug-16 20:39:24

Same, not ame!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now