Big boobs and tiny baby

(7 Posts)
Twasthecatthatdidit Sat 09-Jul-16 17:58:23

Hi, my 2 day old arrived early and is tiny. His suck seems quite strong but his little mouth can hardly take in much of my breast. I have one large nipple in particular that I can feel becoming sensitive- a midwife warned me my nipple might be sorer than otherwise as his little mouth would be rubbing on it rather than just on the aureola. Will this affect the milk he gets? I worry about him not getting enough. Are there any positions that might make things easier? He can't seem to manage lying down at all (for eg) which I did a lot with my first.

Coconut0il Sun 10-Jul-16 12:05:32

Congratulations OP smile No real advice, I just keep a hand underneath whichever boob DS2 is feeding from so my nipple doesn't keep falling out. We couldn't do lying down feeding till he was a bit older.

Hopefully better advice will be along soon!

PolterGoose Sun 10-Jul-16 12:11:30

Big boobs here too. I mostly fed sitting cross legged and with a firm pillow for ds using a rugby hold position. I also used what I later found out is called an exagerrated latch/flipple technique which helped get a good latch.

Blueskies80 Sun 10-Jul-16 12:17:12

I had the same for dc1 and lying down was a complete disaster. Had to really concentrate fir each feed and support boob and have a good feeding pillow too. It improved by three months.

NotSoFancyHanky Sun 10-Jul-16 12:24:19

Rugby hold position on couch with a breastfeeding pillow worked well for me.

tappitytaptap Sun 10-Jul-16 13:25:10

I don't have big boobs but one of my nipples is much wider at the base than the other and even at almost 15 weeks that one is still sore sometimes whatever the latch is like! Still using lansinoh sometimes. Sorry thats not much help!!

Apachepony Mon 11-Jul-16 11:57:31

Thanks everybody, I will start using a pillow and try the rugby hold. And sadly leave the lying down position til he's a bit older!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now