Supplementing now I am at work

(7 Posts)
Droflum Wed 06-Jul-16 17:33:59

My dd is almost 18wks and I went back to work last week having stored enough ebm for a frozen feed per day and a few spares but she pretty much feeds every 2 hours still and I have found it difficult to express enough now I'm back at work. She also has reflux so sometimes needs more if she's been sick lots. In addition to what I can express (usually 2 -3 4/5oz bottles a day) She is now needing 2 frozen feeds a day (I'm home just in time to stop it being 3!) so my stores are getting low!! I simply do not have the milk to give her. I need to introduce another feed in place of a frozen one so she will have about 3 bottles of ebm (including one frozen one) then be bf when I am at home but my question is whether to introduce a formula bottle when out of what has been left each day or start baby cereal just in the morning and see if that helps. Advice please?

Droflum Fri 08-Jul-16 16:27:43

I really don't know which is better to give, formula or baby rice. I think if baby rice can just stretch one feed back by an hour or hour and a half, I wont need the extra bottle as I'll be home. Then, I think maybe milk, even if formula is better - any ideas??

mrsmugoo Mon 11-Jul-16 13:48:15

Formula will be better than baby rice at 18 weeks for definite. Baby rice is nothing but bulk, no nutrition in it whatsoever.

AGruffaloCrumble Mon 11-Jul-16 13:50:40

Formula over baby rice every time.

Droflum Mon 11-Jul-16 17:16:48

Thank you. Out of interest then, what about if I skipped baby rice and tried something like banana. I was only saying rice because I read its a good first food for first few days for a bf baby as you add milk and it tastes similar and just introduces texture. I don't want to use jars or baby porridge as there are too many ingredients and I plan to home cook all fresh foods. Really the question is milk or solids. I dont want to replace a feed, it wil be in addition if I introduce solids, it might just help me get home in time to prevent a second bottle of frozen milk being used.

mrsmugoo Mon 11-Jul-16 18:20:01

As per the current medical advice, the best thing for your baby until six months is milk whether that be formula or breast milk.

AGruffaloCrumble Tue 12-Jul-16 08:51:59

They get so many more nutrients from milk than food at this age. 100% milk. She is only tiny and her gut doesn't need anything but milk at this stage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now