How long to regain birth weight?

(25 Posts)
Mrspopper Sat 02-Jul-16 09:51:44

Baby is 18 days. Still not at birth weight. Feeding had been a nightmare. Trying so hard to breast feed but having to top up. Could do with some positive stories! Thank you x

Littleelffriend Sat 02-Jul-16 09:54:15

Mine took about 3 weeks. She was a month early and had formula top ups too. I felt like it was the end of the world but it's really not. I know it's hard but try to relax

embarrasseddoesntcutit Sat 02-Jul-16 10:01:10

Took mine about 8 days but my friends little girl took 7 weeks. So it can depend! As long as weight is being gained it is good!

Mrspopper Sat 02-Jul-16 10:11:14

Thanks feeling pretty low about it all x

Duckyneedsaclean Sat 02-Jul-16 10:16:24

Is baby weeing & pooing?

Mrspopper Sat 02-Jul-16 10:26:43

Yes ducky. Just big weight loss 12% and very small gains, weigh in yesterday weight was same. It's depressing as I'm trying so hard, after tongue tie snip she has a great latch. Currently sat power pumping while dad gives her a top up. Not sure how much longer I can do this.

Littleelffriend Sat 02-Jul-16 10:49:23

Mrspopper I could have written your post, please be kind to yourself your little one will get there. Expressing is hard, giving formula isn't bad. I now give my lo breast during the day and formula at night. She's 8weeks. You will get through this.

Mrspopper Sat 02-Jul-16 11:03:50

Thanks little elf. I know it will get better it just feels proper rubbish. She's having formula too.
I'm doing power expressing, skin to skin, waking to feed, taking fenugreek etc. I'm just exhausted and have a 3 year old.

Lweji Sat 02-Jul-16 11:07:34

Mine didn't lose any weight, so, not helpful. Sorry.

But, small gains are ok for babies. Just as long as she is gaining weight do not worry about the birth weight. Seriously.

And it will be ok to gain weight faster, then slowly, too.

GirlOutNumbered Sat 02-Jul-16 11:09:36

Mine was so slow but no one seemed that worried. After three weeks I think he go there (sorry can't remember!) funny enough he's still a skinny minny and barely eats now.

Littleelffriend Sat 02-Jul-16 11:16:18

You must be exhausted I hope your dp is looking after you

Paintedhandprints Sat 02-Jul-16 11:27:33

If she is alert, responding to you, doing plenty of nappies, and basically not floppy and pale, she is doing alright.

YokoUhOh Sat 02-Jul-16 11:34:34

Wet and dirty nappies = everything's okay. I put DS2 in a sling from Day 1 and fed him in there because I was also running around after 3 year old DS1, this might work for you?

Also, babies tend to 'up' your supply at night. Is there any way you can co-sleep (safely, of course).

KellyMom website always puts my mind at rest: www.kellymom.com

Good luck!

cantbelieveImquittingcoffee Sat 02-Jul-16 11:36:35

My DD lost 7% and took 4 weeks to gain it back - no gains at all to begin with, then very small ones, and then suddenly 300g in a week! Don't let the situation panic you, your LO will get back up in weight and it sounds like you are doing an amazing job flowers

AnnieOnnieMouse Sat 02-Jul-16 11:46:11

My dd was 5 weeks early, and lost over 12% of her birth weight. I also gave topup of formula, and expressed milk, while getting the bf going. She got back to her birth weight at about 3 weeks, and then settled nicely, and was fine from then on. It's hard, but doable, and you're doing well. flowers

getyourselfchecked Sat 02-Jul-16 13:34:06

Mine took 3 weeks and now, 4 months on, his weight gain is great.

Also, if you received IV fluids in labour, the baby's birth weight is artificially increased by extra fluid, IYSWIM. They lose the fluid quickly after birth so a percentage of that loss could be the fluid. I know my baby looked a bit 'puffy'.

Mrspopper Sat 02-Jul-16 16:46:56

Thanks everyone.
No extra fluids. But she did look a bit puffy!

seven201 Sat 02-Jul-16 17:27:07

My baby is 17 days and only just (yesterday) started gaining (50g) after losing at every weigh in. Still miles away from her birth weight. We were lucky though and didn't quite get to 10% drop though so not been put on a schedule etc. I did have a drip and she was very puffy for the first couple of days after birth, as was I! I've never heard that before sonic glad I read this thread.

Hang in there op!

GraceGrape Sat 02-Jul-16 17:30:52

My Dd2 took 6 weeks! She had a high birth weight and then trouble feeding because of a tongue tie that was snipped at 3 weeks.

Mrspopper Sat 02-Jul-16 17:32:03

Seven so they didn't ask you to top up? I guess as they weight loss was reasonable. Good to know others are only putting on weight now!

Mrspopper Sat 02-Jul-16 17:32:49

Grace... She was 9lb 7 and had her tongue tie cut at 1 week. So that sounds similar.

seven201 Sat 02-Jul-16 17:57:12

No, wasn't told to top up. I was told that if she dropped any more than I'd have to. Here the cut off seems to be 10% before they get all militant about it. I do feel for you - I wouldn't want all that but it sounds like your hard work is paying off now smile

GraceGrape Sat 02-Jul-16 18:31:00

Have you tried cranial osteopathy? Might have been a coincidence but it seemed to help us.

ParsnipSoup Sat 02-Jul-16 18:44:32

Day 24 until any gains here. If baby is peeing, pooing, alert and waking for feeds 2-3hrly and not jaundiced don't panic. Lots of time skin to skin, make sure someone who knows what they are talking about has watched baby feed and make sure you're drinking and eating well.

It is not unusual for breast fed babies to take a while to gain, especially if slowed down by tongue tie initially.

If you don't want to formula top up and you have a well baby don't feel bullied into it, but if you do that's okay. I expressed after 2-4 feeds a day (got 10-20mls) each time to help supply for a week or so at your stage.

I remember how hard this was (I cried a lot) but you will get through it. DM if you need a bit of moral support or more advice.

SueTrinder Sat 02-Jul-16 18:51:03

DS was premature, had bad jaundice and lost over 10% of his birthweight in the first three days and took a long while to establish feeding. He didn't regain his birth weight for a month but he was feeding well after a couple of weeks. No tongue tie. He was my third and my milk came in forcefully (I'd only stopped BFing DC2 when a few months pregnant), poor thing had trouble latching on because my boobs were so hard and massive. Keep at it, seems like you know what to do, it's just a matter of time. Once he regained his birthweight his weight gain was normal (because of various health problems he was weighed regularly).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now