peanut butter

(12 Posts)
mrsmoomoopoopoo Wed 22-Jun-16 18:24:56

Hi,

Can my 8 month old have peanut but if it's smooth?
I've tried looking it up but get mixed responses.

Cheers

Pinkheart5915 Wed 22-Jun-16 18:27:41

My Ds is 9 months and I have give him small amounts on crackers / toast.

Oil you I got mixed responses so made my own judgement

Pinkheart5915 Wed 22-Jun-16 18:28:09

That should say like you I got

ScarletForYa Wed 22-Jun-16 18:28:15

I don't think they're supposed to have nuts until after 12 months old.

Pinkheart5915 Wed 22-Jun-16 18:30:47

From NHS website

Whole nuts, including peanuts, shouldn't be given to children under five, as they can choke on them. As long as there's no history of food allergies or other allergies in your family, you can give your baby peanuts once they're six months old, as long as they're crushed or ground into peanut butter

AGnu Wed 22-Jun-16 18:33:19

When DS1 was a baby we were invited to take part in an allergy research project. We couldn't do it in the end but I'm fairly sure they released at least preliminary results a while ago that suggested a child was less likely to develop allergies if they were exposed to it early!

MyBreadIsEggy Wed 22-Jun-16 18:34:43

One of the first foods my Dd swiped from my husband's plate was peanut butter on toast at about 6 months old! She's 14 months now and still loves it.
As someone else said as long as there's no history of allergies in the immediate family you should be fine.

FATEdestiny Wed 22-Jun-16 18:34:45

Yes, it's fine.

The mixed messages you will find online may be to do with the fact that peanuts when weaning have been subject to many changes in NHS regulations over recent years, so the advice you read will depend on what recommendations were when the writer wrote the piece.

It used to be that there were no recommendations either way with regards to peanuts. Then it became advisable not to give whole nuts because of choke risks but peanut butter etc is fine. For a time no peanuts were recommended before 12 months.

Now I believe that it is recommended that weaning babies are introduced to peanuts in a safe and regular manner, because lack of exposure is a problem. The choke risk of whole nuts is still an issue tho. So smooth peanut butter is recommended as something parents should make an effort to ensure their children are given

SecretlycrushingonTomHanks Wed 22-Jun-16 18:39:20

Oh gosh I never even thought to check. DD2 (9 months) eats crunchy peanut butter sandwiches and has toast with it spread on. She's absolutely fine though so think I'll continue as I was!

Thebookswereherfriends Wed 22-Jun-16 18:47:37

I was quite careful with nutty stuff with my dd as I am allergic to nuts and various other stuff. Then when she was about 2 I left her with my next door neighbours for 20 mins and when I picked her up they said 'we'll, she's not keen on peanutbutter'. I gulped and thanked them for looking after her, at home I kept an eye out, but luckily she seems to take after her Dad and only seems to have hay fever to worry about.

ThisIslandGirl Wed 22-Jun-16 19:05:28

Smooth peanut butter (the one without any salt or sugar added) was one of the first things I weaned DS on as he is underweight. He loves it! There are no history of peanut allergy in my family I should add.

dementedpixie Wed 22-Jun-16 20:03:58

Think my ds was 9 months when he first had it. We have no food allergies in the family

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now