Follow on milk or cows milk?

(4 Posts)
GBBO15 Sat 18-Jun-16 20:40:24

My dd is almost one year old. She was ebf but since I went back to work a few weeks ago she's been getting a bottle of formula during the day. She eats quite well but we are vegetarian (I make sure to offer plenty of iron rich foods and she takes a multivitamin with iron). I'm just wondering if when she turns one we should be giving follow on milk or ordinary cows milk? I've heard follow on milks are just a con so companies can advertise formula, but they do have more iron etc so is it better to use them? Or is it better to stick with normal cows milk as less processed etc? Anyone looked into this before? Cost not really an issue.

TheFirie Sat 18-Jun-16 21:33:37

I never used follow on milk. When my DSs turned one, I just gave them full milk. I wouldn't go for the follow on milk, especially as you are already giving a supplement. If you are worried you could discuss with your GP to ditch the multivitamins and just go for floradix kinder. Don't start giving her floradix with our medical opinion.

Are you strict vegetarian or do you eat fish/shells/eggs? Clams are extremely high in iron.
It is not only about iron, but proteins are also really fundamental in the early years. Parmiggiano original cheese is extremely high in protein and suitable for vegetarian.

GBBO15 Sat 18-Jun-16 22:24:29

Thanks thefirie. I'll check out the floradix. I think her protein intake is ok, I'm following my HV's guidance on that.

knaffedoff Sat 18-Jun-16 22:35:58

Follow on milk is a con! Offer cow's milk instead

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now