Mixed feeding - How much breastmilk for one feed a day?

(4 Posts)
Cornberry Tue 14-Jun-16 21:55:02

I have just stopped BF (sniff) and I have a stash of frozen milk stored in quantities of 100ml which I want to use to extend the period my LG has some breastmilk. She now has 3 bottles of formula a day - about 200 ml each - and I was wondering if replacing one of these feeds with 100ml of BM would be sufficient, as I've heard that BM goes further so babies need less. Anyone know if this would work? Any advice welcome!

swg1 Wed 15-Jun-16 22:54:07

How is her weight at present?

If she's doing okay weight-wise, try pausing after one bottle and see if she's still looking for more? You can always top up with formula if you don't have more defrosted.

(I ask about weight as I have an underweight little boy I would not do this with as he needs more milk than he really can be bothered drinking).

coveredinhopeandvaseline Wed 15-Jun-16 23:11:36

You could try dropping to a slower flow teat but halving the feed volume might be problematic unless you supplement another 1/4-1/2 feed of formula.

Cornberry Thu 16-Jun-16 07:06:50

She's a big baby - 98th percentile. Yesterday I prepared 90ml BM and had an extra 100 ml formula to offer if she wanted it and she didn't want anymore after the breastmilk! Maybe it's true what they say, that BM is more filling! Will try again today the same and see if it works again...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now