How to stop leaking milk all over

(13 Posts)
Augustina123 Tue 14-Jun-16 15:14:10

When my baby boy was born three weeks ago, we struggled with feeding, which almost led to mastitis. Luckily, we were still in hospital then, so were prescribed antibiotics straight away before I developed flu-like symptoms. The antibiotics alleviated the redness/soreness/heat/lumps somewhat. However, they're not gone completely and have become worse again in the last few days (though nothing like what it was in the beginning).

This means that wearing a bra even for half an hour is quite sore and definitely makes the symptoms worse. The nursing bra I was fitted with before the birth is way too small and leaves red marks around my breasts, so on the advice of the midwife, I bought a soft sports bra in the largest available size. However, even wearing this is sore and makes things worse.

As I'm lactating quite a lot, I wear old t-shirts with massive milk stains around the house (apologies if this is TMI!). I tried to attach breast pads to them, but they won't stick (and don't keep in the right place either). What do people do when going out?? So far, I have mostly been in the house, and worn that sports bra when going to the shops. However, I'm not keen on it, given that the threat of mastitis is back - and I'm also looking for a solution for going out for longer than just half an hour.

I have a few commitments this week which I don't want to sit through leaking milk - or having incredibly sore boobs and possibly developing mastitis. Do any of you have any practical tips on how to stop leaking??

BettyBi0 Tue 14-Jun-16 15:24:42

I like those breastfeeding vests with the elastic band under the boobs and clips on the front/shoulder to reveal the boobies. They aren't as supportive or restrictive as a bra but the band gives you some security to hold in some milk shells or breast pads.

H&M do some good ones, 2 for £15 or £20.

TheDisreputableDog Tue 14-Jun-16 15:26:38

M&S crop top style 'soft' bras round the house. Decent fitted bra outside.

But what you need are Lanisoh breast pads... (The same make as the nipple cream).

The best by a country mile, expensive but worth it, they are over packaged but I wouldn't have anything else, they have gel stuff inside which absorbs milk, the others just seems to be a bit of padding.

LemonBreeland Tue 14-Jun-16 15:30:41

You really need to go out and buy a bigger bra that will fit comfortably so you can use breast pads. Possibly a nursing sleep bra as they are very soft, if you are still worrying about the mastitis.

Diddlydokey Tue 14-Jun-16 15:31:07

www.mothercare.com/sleep-bras/mat_sleepbras,default,sc.html

NotWithoutMyMerkin Tue 14-Jun-16 15:32:12

Have you been checked again for mastitis? You may need more intervention to clear it completely

Augustina123 Tue 14-Jun-16 16:15:54

Thank you, all, for your replies. I'll have a look into the vests/bras you suggest.

The DisreputableDog, Lansinoh breast pads are the ones I have - I was thinking it was the bra rather than the breast pads that made me sore...

NotWithoutMyMerkin, health visitor has been again today and said to contact my GP if I got any flu-like symptoms (which, thankfully, I don't have). For now, I've been advised to continue with massaging breasts, hot showers etc.

Augustina123 Tue 14-Jun-16 16:18:31

Do nursing sleep bras go by pre-pregnancy size? (When I was fitted my nursing bra at M&S prior to giving birth, it was a completely different size, but the Mothercare website seems to indicate pre-pregancy sizes, hence my confusion.)

SliceOfLime Tue 14-Jun-16 16:24:19

Have a look at the website From here to maternity, they have a good range of bras and I think advice on measuring too. Bravado stretchy bras are great.

For leaking, I swear by Bambooty Booby Nights breast pads - they're washable and super soft and comfy. I found all disposable ones to be scratchy.

I'd also suggest getting advice from a proper breastfeeding counsellor (in person not on the phone if possible ) - they can show you positions to feed in which help to clear any blockages - it makes a huge difference and means you can stop mastitis recurring by clearing blocked ducts before they get infected.

NotWithoutMyMerkin Tue 14-Jun-16 17:00:37

I'm going to guess your health visitor doesn't have any breastfeeding qualifications. I'd ask for a second opinion from a lactation consultant or a gp if I were you

FurryGiraffe Tue 14-Jun-16 17:22:43

Nursing bras go by current sizing. They have to: your pre pregnancy size doesn't determine your post pregnancy size IYSWIM. The odd sizing on the bra fitted while pregnant is because your ribcage expands in pregnancy so the band sizing goes up (and impacts on the cup sizing). A nursing bra fitted in pregnancy is unlikely to fit post partum.

I've got Jojo sleep bras and they're sized S, M, L etc so you can guesstimate the sizing if you haven't had a proper fitting. I find them very comfy, and they pull aside so faffing with clips smile.

FurryGiraffe Tue 14-Jun-16 17:25:13

Sorry- they pull aside so NO faffing with clips.

Augustina123 Wed 15-Jun-16 10:46:16

Thank you, ladies! I have ordered a couple of nursing sleep bras on Amazon for their next day delivery - fingers crossed.

SliceOfLime, I've been told to point baby's chin towards the hard bit of the breast, but at the moment, he won't feed in any position other than rugby ball (tried others with help of midwife). Might try to go to the BFN group next week for more advice though.

NotWithoutMyMerkin, I appreciate your concern. I'll make a GP appointment if things don't improve.

FurtyGiraffe, I had been told that bra fitters could estimate the right nursing bra size by going down a couple of chest sizes and up a few cup sizes a few weeks before the due date, but that was clearly wrong!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now