Breastfeeding novice with only Google to help

(11 Posts)
toolonglurking Sat 28-May-16 10:11:17

Hi,
I have a 7 week old DS, and live in the middle of nowhere, so have no one locally to ask about breastfeeding and there aren't any NCT groups or similar that don't involve at least a two hour round trip in the car. I have questions about breastfeeding that I don't seem to be able to find straight answers to online so was hoping some kind soul here might be able to help:
Do I need to sterilise my electric breast pump between breasts?
If I pump a couple of bottles for use that same day, and don't refrigerate them, I know I need to use them within that 24 hour period, but do I need to heat them up before I give them to DS, or are they ok at room temp?
Thanks in advance and apologies for the probably stupid questions!

LadySilvia Sat 28-May-16 10:30:21

Not stupid questions at all: how can you know unless you ask?
There's actually no need to sterilise at all, you'll be pleased to hear smile. One hot soapy wash, rinse and dry thoroughly with paper towels a day. Room temp and warmed milk is absolutely fine - go with what DS prefers.
There's lots of good advice in the book 'The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding' (on the kindle app, by La Leche League) if you'd like some advice at the touch of a button. The Kellymom website gives fantastic advice too.
Lastly, congratulations on DS and bloody well done - it can't be easy with a 7wo when you live so remotely! Do you have any help at home? flowers

Junosmum Sat 28-May-16 11:15:01

Yup, what lady silva said.

toolonglurking Sat 28-May-16 12:38:39

Thank you so much, that is exactly what I was hoping for smile
It's ok being out in the sticks, lots of long walks with dog and baby, and I do have my partner for support - but there are definitely difficult moments!

LBOCS2 Sat 28-May-16 12:46:18

What?! Is this true? No sterilising of breast pump parts? I've been putting off using my pump because I didn't have the brain capacity to work out what to sterilise.

Do bottles come under the same rules?

Sorry for jumping on your thread OP!

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Sat 28-May-16 12:49:01

There are some fab breastfeeding support lines you can call. Google them.

Thingywhatsit Sat 28-May-16 12:52:00

When I used to pump (18 months ago)I sterilised it once a day. The rest of the time it would be sealed in a zip lock type bag and put in the fridge and that satisfied the guidelines at the time......

Are you getting support from your hv in regards to bf???

Junosmum Sat 28-May-16 13:00:52

I've been told by more than one hcp/ breastfeeding support that a good hot soapy wash is all you need for any equipment to do with breast milk.

Ratbagratty Sat 28-May-16 13:08:03

I've been told breastmilk can stay out of fridge for 6hrs max, 5days (put post it note, with day and time on) in fridge but not the door and 6months if frozen. I found my Dd prefers the room temperature one warmed up a bit but it doesn't have to be.

LadySilvia Sat 28-May-16 13:31:23

From the La Leche League book I mentioned earlier. S'all easier than you might think. wink

LBOCS2 Sat 28-May-16 14:33:15

Rag, I've heard the rule of 6 - 6 hours at room temp, 6 days in the fridge, 6 months in the freezer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now