Can I take a 3mo ebf baby off one night feed?

(13 Posts)
mayaknew Thu 26-May-16 11:41:14

Dd is ebf. She feeds at 3 then 5am-6am and 7am-8am. I really don't want to give up bf but I really need sleep so bad. I am completely done insad

Is there any way to get her to take more in the evening then drop the 3am feed?

havalina1 Thu 26-May-16 11:45:22

If there is I don't know it... My baby is 8 months and I can't seem to manipulate his feeding pattern. He changes it himself, naturally lending to longer periods of sleep. At your baby's age I don't think you can do anything bar give them a bottle at night time and see (you could pump).

Wish there was a nicer answer!! Try hang in there.... I still don't get much sleep but somehow it doesn't seem to bother me anymore!

minipie Thu 26-May-16 12:03:04

Have you tried waking her for a feed (or doing a dream feed where you feed her still asleep) when you go to bed say 10pm ish? That way you might only get woken once at say 4/5am.

Works for some, not for others...

Also might there be something else waking her at 5-6am - light, noise, wind, leaky nappy, anything? If you could sort that you might be able to avoid that one.

LBOCS2 Thu 26-May-16 12:44:07

To be honest that sounds like the pattern EBF DD1 was in until she was around 9 months. We'd do a feed at 8, dream feed at 11, she'd wake at 3-4, and again between 6-7. And I think she would have wanted it whether it was bottle or breast.

minipie Thu 26-May-16 13:00:32

LBOCS2 but that's a better pattern because if you go to bed after the 11pm feed then you only get woken once before morning at 6/7... whereas OP is getting woken twice. So I'm suggesting dream feed like you did to try to get more like your pattern.

Artandco Thu 26-May-16 13:03:52

Yes I would dream feed too. Then they are fed last thing befor you go to sleep and hopefully merge the 3am and 5/6am feed into one feed around 4-5am

Diddlydokey Thu 26-May-16 13:03:54

Will she take a dummy? If she accepts it, she's probably not really hungry and just sucky.

Can you go to bed at 9 an leave your DP with a bottle of EBM or formula to give before they go to bed?

mayaknew Thu 26-May-16 13:09:49

The dream feed before I go to sleep idea is a good one I'll try that. I had read up on getting DH to give her a bottle of expressed milk at 3 to see if she's only liking for the comfort.

Yeah she already takes a dummy but spits it out when she wakes looking for a feed.

Artandco Thu 26-May-16 13:13:20

Also make sure you feed every 2 hrs in the day if she's hungry at night. Mean she can be fully topped up during your waking hours and so hopefully wake less overnight

Diddlydokey Thu 26-May-16 13:36:38

What time is she going to bed?

If she's going from 7-3, that's great but going down at midnight through to 3 isn't so great

mayaknew Thu 26-May-16 14:09:43

If I fed her every 2 hours during the day she would be spewing all day. She brings a lot of milk up during the day already. She goes down usually 9ish but can be up to 10 depending on how she's fed during the day she has no routine whatsoever except overnight funnily enough confused

havalina1 Thu 26-May-16 14:25:34

I wouldn't panic just yet. I bet she will soon start getting the hang of going to bed - in my experience it's the first bit of night sleeping that becomes the longest, as the night/early morning comes hats when you get more bursts of feeding as they are sleeping lighter.

I would guess that she will start sleeping a little longer into the night and continue to wake a couple of times later on.

It can all change again with solids smile

Diddlydokey Thu 26-May-16 17:18:11

I had a very sicky baby who preferred to feed at night. He was much better sleeping on his front. He also improved his sleep by going into a fairly strict routine of 4 hourly feeds and napping regularly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now