Donor milk due to breast cancer

(9 Posts)
laurapearson22 Wed 25-May-16 21:06:12

I'm 32 weeks pregnant and it's looking like I'll be induced in the next few weeks. I have breast cancer and had a lumpectomy three weeks ago; I'll be having chemo shortly after the birth. I've been told I won't be able to breastfeed, which I'm really devastated about, as I did it for my first child and want to do the same for my second.

So, my questions. Firstly, a few incredibly kind friends have offered to pump and freeze breast milk for my daughter, but none of them live locally. Does anyone know how I'd go about getting it transported? Secondly, does anyone have experience of using donor milk from a milk bank? I've asked various healthcare professionals about this and no-one seems to know how I should go about it.

Thanks in advance for any advice. If anyone wants to follow my story, I'm blogging it here: https://breastcancerandbaby.wordpress.com/

ProseccoPoppy Wed 25-May-16 21:08:46

Firdon't have experience of using donor milk but I do donate to my local milk bank

ProseccoPoppy Wed 25-May-16 21:10:01

Urgh so sorry pressed send much too early DD now crying will type message in a mo - firstly though op you are amazing flowers

ProseccoPoppy Wed 25-May-16 21:19:31

On transport I'd ask the ladies on the human milk 4 human babies Facebook page as a lot of them have experience of sending milk. When I donate the milk bank sends a rider out with a big cool box thing (I'm an hour from my nearest). My understanding is that as long as there are still ice crystals in the milk even if it has partially defrosted it can be refrozen, which may help as that gives you longer. I'd also ring your local milk bank coordinator (I'll post a link in a mo) as they should be able to properly help you. My midwife and doctor didn't know about donating at all and the lady at the milk bank was fab. Very very best of luck - you and your friends are doing an awesome thing. I hope your treatment goes really well flowers

ProseccoPoppy Wed 25-May-16 21:21:37

www.ukamb.org/

clarella Wed 25-May-16 21:31:57

You could get In Touch with the la leche league and bf network who might be able to link you to a local group for extra support, milk or guidance. I think I read about some rules/ guidance via my local lll FB network recently.

Lots of LLLove flowers

laurapearson22 Wed 25-May-16 21:34:07

Thank you! I've sent an email to my local milk bank.

Junosmum Thu 26-May-16 08:49:58

Yep- prossecco has it covered. I'm also a milk donor, and if you get some from the north west milk bank you may get some of mine! Where in the country are you? You could try finding a donor near you.

Icklepickle101 Tue 31-May-16 16:35:24

Not sure if it would help but I order meat from muscle foods and they have special ice packs which stay frozen for 72 hours. Then it all goes in a silver packet that's made of thick bubble wrap type material and then in the post! They might help? I'd be happy to post you some I have in the freezer if you would like to try them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now