Breast pump advice please

(14 Posts)
Thenadish Tue 24-May-16 19:40:46

Hi mums,
I'm a FTM due in the next 4 weeks and determined to breastfeed.

MIL and cousin have recommended I have a manual pump to hand to alleviate any soreness when the milk comes in if I want to give it a try.

Longer term I would like to express so my DH can enjoy some of the feeds as well.

Took a trip to mothercare and saw a Lanisoh on offer, thought the mothercare manual pump looked and felt better and their bottles and teats seem quite nipple like. The sales people there advised the Tommy Tippee manual pump is the best seller... I'm confused and a bit overwhelmed!

I don't want the baby to reject the bottle or the breast so I suppose my preferences are
- manual pump (until I get the hang of it and determine I can do it)
- newborn friendly (should the teat be positioned to one side rather than the middle?)

I've also heard good things about the Medela....

Anyone recommend one pump over another?

Many thanks in advance for your advice!

Hopelass Tue 24-May-16 19:46:00

I tried an Avent manual pump and could not get the hang of it.
The medela swing (electric) however saw me through 4 months of exclusive expressing (long sorry, tongue tie) and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. I got it on offer half price which happens quite regularly in various places. I suppose it depends on how much expressing you end up doing but manual ones I can imagine would be hard work for long term use IMO.

Hopelass Tue 24-May-16 19:46:53

Oh and I just used the tommee tippee closer to nature bottles which seemed fine.

Primaryteach87 Tue 24-May-16 19:48:25

Medela a million times. No question

Thenadish Tue 24-May-16 20:54:29

Thank you both ill keep an eye out for the Medela. Would you defo go straight for the electric or start with the manual?

Paulat2112 Tue 24-May-16 20:57:00

Medela is what I used too for both my ds and it was great. Had a manual one too and found it rubbish in comparison. I got mine on offer too.

Alanna1 Tue 24-May-16 20:58:12

Medela all the way for me too. And I didnt bother with a manual pump - straight to electric for me. Was fine - took about a week or so to get the hang of being a dairy cow, but then I was easily expressing enough for 1 bottle feed a day. Good luck!

villainousbroodmare Tue 24-May-16 21:00:02

I used both a Lansinoh double electric pump and a Philips Avent single electric. The Lansinoh one was rubbish. Philips very good and I got it at 30% off in Boots.
I'd suggest going for electric. Pumping is enough of a nuisance without doing it manually. There will be lots of things to make you tired in a few weeks' time!
Congrats and good luck.

MunchyMunchkin Tue 24-May-16 21:00:02

I had an electric and manual avent pump which I used to express when going out/for food at weaning. Both worked well and LO took to the avent natural bottles without issue.
Overall I used the manual pump more as I wasn't tied down and got a slightly better yield. Plus it's easy to chuck in your handbag if you're out without baby and get engorged.
Have you got a friend you could borrow one from?
What you need/how much to sorbs really depends on if you will be exclusively pumping or occasional use. A medela would've been a waste for me.

Butterchunks Wed 25-May-16 16:13:00

I had a medela swing buy also rented a spectra 2 from Ana wiz website. I preferred the spectra, and have written more in a previous post. It is very difficult to know how you will get on with pumping until you do it so you may want to consider renting rather than buying straight away.

Butterchunks Wed 25-May-16 16:14:55

I would also suggest looking on YouTube for tutorials on hand expressing, sometime it worked better for me than using the medela pump.

Mangobubbles Wed 25-May-16 16:25:20

My medela lasted for all 3 DC. Wouldn't bother buying a manual pump if I were you.

Thenadish Wed 25-May-16 18:29:46

Amazing thanks for al the opinions and options and wishes of luck! Xx

Nousername2015 Wed 25-May-16 20:25:17

The Tommee Tippee is the best seller because it's always on offer, not because it's the best pump.
I have a medela swing and an avent manual for out and about. Medela swing better by miles but does take longer in my opinion. Manual pumps also knacker your hands. Best of luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now