I'm struggling to maintain a healthy weight whilst breastfeeding

(6 Posts)
Tywinlannister Sat 14-May-16 11:44:51

Baby is 17 days old and I have lost 3 stone since he was born. I am losing around 1lb a day and eating to appetite, but I've been somewhat over-eating since I noticed the weight melting off. I never put on a lot of actual body weight during pregnancy, mostly baby and am now way under pre-pregnancy weight. I look shrunken. Baby was v large birthweight and is a hungry boy!

I know this is nothing to complain about but I am worried about maintaining my supply and what is going to happen to me when I eventually stop feeding confused

If anyone could recommend ideas for high fat healthy meal options, I'd be really grateful. I don't want to sit here all day eating biscuits only to create a habit I cant kick once he weans!

slightlyglitterbrained Sat 14-May-16 11:57:54

Nuts & seeds are good for snacking, maybe avocado. I also added a few dollops of sour cream or full fat yoghurt to some meals.

Though tbh I did eat an awful lot of cake grin

Tywinlannister Sat 14-May-16 14:26:19

Nuts is a v good idea actually, thanks. I am really worried my supply will diminish if I'm losing so much so I'd like to just maintain the same weight throughout if I can. I am gravitating towards Toblerone though but I just can't seem to get enough calories in...

Artandco Sat 14-May-16 14:29:36

I found it hard also to keep weight on.

Added butter to scrambled eggs at breakfast.

Smoked salmon and avocado

Cashew nut snacks

Loads of milky drinks ( small glass every time I fed the first few weeks)

LuckySantangelo1 Sat 14-May-16 14:29:37

Greek yogurt (full fat) with granola. Avocados. All types of nuts. Peanut butter on toast. Tuck into the cake too!

umizoomi Sat 14-May-16 14:36:00

I have always struggled with my weight (and lived a life dieting!) and pregnancy and breastfeeding were the best thing ever! So I get if you are slim, then bf could be counter productive re weight. I would also eat some high calorie stuff like nuts and maybe flapjack type things. And cake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now