bottle feeds

(6 Posts)
jessica12345 Sat 14-May-16 11:23:07

*Unfortunately I was unable to breastfeed, my baby has been bottle fed, and she will be 3 weeks tomorrow.
I'm finding it a long process when your baby is crying to have to make the bottle feeds up, (boiling kettle, waiting for it to cool etc.)
I manage it fine but started using the ready to use bottles of baby milk and this was so much easier, especially for night time feeds.
But I'm wondering if it's okay to pre-make a few bottles of milk for her put them in the fridge and then heat them for her when she wakes up from her nap?
I've looked online and it's a total mix of reviews so I'm really unsure.
I've put a pre made bottle in the fridge today to try it..
Any advice welcome, thankyou smile*

FutureGadgetsLab Sat 14-May-16 11:26:44

I do it. I make the bottles and keep them in the fridge for up to 24 hours. I heat them up when he wants them.

It's so much easier. I considered it for ages and felt guilty, exhausted and stressed. I was crying and my mum intervened and
, made a batch, put them in the fridge and told me to go to sleep! Since then that's what I've done and I've had no problems.

welshweasel Sat 14-May-16 11:29:38

Get a perfect prep machine. Best £60 I've spent on baby stuff!

welshweasel Sat 14-May-16 11:32:05

Or fill a bottle with boiled water from the kettle in the morning. When you want a bottle, boil the kettle and put an inch or so of the boiling water in the bottle, add the powder and top up with the cold water from your bottle. When I'm out I take a flask of hot water and a bottle of cold and do the same. Dead easy.

FuzzyOwl Sat 14-May-16 11:35:39

It isn't recommended but lots of parents do it. I used a Perfect Prep machine (also not recommended by the same people who advise against making up bottles in advance) and found it brilliant. It is single handedly the best baby related thing I have bought for DD (apart from nappies and food) and is still in use a year later.

spacefrog35 Sat 14-May-16 11:39:43

I make up in advance but I know a lot of people who do as welshweasel describes which also seems to work well.

The reason for not making in advance is bacteria grows quickly in milk. I've researched it as best I can and my assessment was I've sterilised (boiled then allowed to cool slightly) the water, I've sterilised the bottle & teat and I've killed the bugs in the milk powder by using water that's over 70c. Therefore the risk of there being anything left to grow in the milk I'm storing in the fridge is minimal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now