Breastfeeding drama help!

(11 Posts)
jillamona Sat 14-May-16 00:28:47

so i'm a first time bf-er and really struggling. LO is 4 days old today, she was feeding ok but for the last 24 hours has been looking to feed more or less constantly, which i wouldn't mind so much if she seemed any way happy or content after feeds, she is constantly fussing, is on and off the breast and cries all the time, rooting around and eating her hands as if she is starving. am mainly worried that she isn't getting enough. she has wet nappies but no yellow poo yet. midwife who visited seemed unconcerned, checked and said she is latching fine even though my nipples are in ribbons she said they will toughen up. am really tempted to give in and supplement with formula, though having used formula with previous 2 kids i know that once i start with the formula the breastfeeding will more than likely end. also my milk isn't fully in yet, midwife said it was transitional milk? so when i express it is white and milky but not much comes out, i don't need to wear a breastpad, for example. maybe my milk just won't be enough for her? any advice is appreciated at the moment am in pain, am sleep deprived and am not sure i'm doing whats best for my baby, i hate to think of her being hungry

MarySmilingAndHerBrassieres Sat 14-May-16 00:38:37

Please don't worry. She is still so tiny and she's cluster feeding to build your supply. I am still feeding my eleven month old and I have never leaked once so don't let that be an indicator of how good your supply is either.

outputgap Sat 14-May-16 00:46:30

Ooh, sounds like your milk is just about to come in. I would guess tomorrow. At which point baby will be getting loads more milk and should be much more content after feeds.

With dc1, my milk didn't come in until day 5, and I was sure she was starving. It's horrible, thinking they're hungry. But I'm sure it's just about to get much easier.

I'm sure you're onto it already, but can I recommend lansinoh for the sore nipples?

NannawifeofBaldr Sat 14-May-16 01:06:28

My milk came on day 7 (post section) hang in in there if you can - it gets easier.

Yy to lansinoh, it's briilant stuff.

jobrum Sat 14-May-16 01:14:30

Yes, Lansinoh for sore nipples, excellent stuff. Nipples shouldn't 'toughen up' the lansinoh just protects them until your baby gets more adept at latching on. I think it was four or so days until my milk came in and yellow nappies appeared.

Junosmum Sat 14-May-16 08:31:21

Totally normal! It's cluster feeding- constantly ravenous, never off the Boob, fussy.

Happens periodically to build your milk supply. Will happen again around 2 weeks and 6 weeks old, and my 18weeker did it last week.

Its not a sign she isn't getting enough and giving supplements such as formula will only make the issue worse as your supply won't increase and you'll get in the vicious cycle.

Sounds like you are doing fab.

Tips:
Lansinoh, lansinoh, lansinoh
Lots of air time for your nipples
Get your partner to take dd for a time to let you get a shower, enjoy a brew etc. She won't starve in that time.

FreeButtonBee Sat 14-May-16 08:35:02

Has she been properly checked for tongue tie? If you are in a lot of pain and milk transfer seems very slow then it's worth checking.

Www.milkmatters.com should have a properly qualified Lactation consultant who could help

Babylonmood Sat 14-May-16 08:35:38

Early days. The pain will ease. Your milk will come. The baby will get better at feeding. Try and stick with it. Congratulations!

jillamona Sat 14-May-16 11:18:42

Thanks for the replies think my milk is in today she seems much more content after last few feeds. Have lanisoh and will double check latch with midwife who is visiting today. I do really want to stick with it, main obstacles are my other 2 darlings who are 4 and 15 months. OH is off work til Monday and is then just working mornings for s week but have no idea how i will feed so much when I'm here by myself with 3 kids 🙈 anyway will just give it my best shot! Thanks again for the replies it really helps X

NannawifeofBaldr Sat 14-May-16 11:28:45

Jil that's great news. Remember that it's quite normal to get a bit weepy cry uncontrollably for several hours when your milk comes in so, warn your DH and remember that it passes.

Re carrying on feeding with older children - a fabric sling might help with that. I used a Kari-me but there are lots of brands.

Daffodil328 Sat 14-May-16 13:37:46

Just to add to freebuttonbee keep an eye on things and if a few weeks in she is still wanting to feed a lot and not content after a feed bear tongue tie in mind.
My DD is my first and the first 6 weeks were bad, midwives etc saying everything fine, but the poor thing was feeding constantly and crying a lot, didn't have that little contented time after feeds at all. I was on the edge of packing it in and feeling miserable because I love breastfeeding then contacted a lactation consultant who diagnosed a small tongue tie. One snip then instantly better feeding and my boobs finally had a rest!!
All the best xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now