Breastfeeding, no periods, ttc... help!

(12 Posts)
LightHouser Thu 12-May-16 20:45:09

Hello fellow mums!

I know everyone is different and periods return at different stages after pregnancy, whether bf or not, but has anyone had no return at all of periods and somehow managed to encourage them back WITHOUT stopping bf?

I've been checked out by gp. Prolactin levels are high from the bf, everything else good. LO is 20 mo, day weaned months ago, giving me a good 11-12 hour stretch every day with no feeding. Always a feed at bedtime and wakeup, then during the night itself can vary between 1 feed or half a dozen, depending on teeth, illness, whatever.

I'm fairly certain if I wean completely or at least cut down to bedtime and morning only then af will return, but lo is not ready to do that yet.

Any other suggestions? Please!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 12-May-16 21:08:05

It wasn't the day feeding that affected my periods, it was the night feeding.

LightHouser Thu 12-May-16 21:26:51

This is what I suspect too sad

NicknameUsed Thu 12-May-16 21:29:09

Mine didn't return until after I had completely stopped breastfeeding.

Not what you want to hear.

bumpertobumper Thu 12-May-16 21:31:15

My period came back when I stopped the night feeds too, just doing morning and evening, when she was 12m.
Doesn't seem to have helped with getting her to sleep through though...15m now
Good luck!

SundayService Thu 12-May-16 21:35:57

My period didn't come back. DS2 dropped the night feed and I got pregnant with DS3 without ever having a period in between. blush Was a pretty big shock for us, but might be encouraging for you? Good luck!

lalath Fri 13-May-16 05:41:39

Mine returned when I stopped night feeding (age 2) - was still feeding in the day.

Miffyandme Fri 13-May-16 14:03:19

I got pregnant as soon as I stopped feeding and never had a period in between. Still feeding DD2, often a lot at night and AF returned a few weeks ago.
Note I am NOT TTC!!!

NickyEds Fri 13-May-16 14:40:33

With ds mine returned 4 weeks exactly after I stopped bf. With dd they returned when she was still having daytime feeds but had stopped night time ones.

Junosmum Fri 13-May-16 23:23:10

It's night feeds that keep the hormones high, keeping ovulation at bay. Very rare to conceive with regular night feeds, more likely if lo sleeps through (e.g. feeds morning and before bed).

Puffinsrock Fri 13-May-16 23:34:29

I was still BF nights and morning with my DC1 at 15months old when I conceived DC2
Never had a period back and continued BF for 4 more mknghs as didn't realise I was pregnant until morning sickness kicked in at 14 weeks!
I.e. just because you're not bleeding doesn't mean your not ovulating!
Goof luck!

BettyBi0 Fri 20-May-16 11:33:49

Mine didn't return until stopping completely. I'd been down to just the morning wake up feed for months but cycle didn't restart until 6 weeks after I dropped it.

At the time I was impatiently waiting to start IVF. The clinic told me they could give me a short course of pills to induce a period but they weren't happy to do it while I continued to BF.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now