Bf, bottle refuser 8 month old and wedding - advice please!

(6 Posts)
missmillimentscardigan Wed 04-May-16 15:00:58

DH and I are going to a wedding in June, when DC2 will be 9months old. She is bf and a bottle refuser. We were thinking it would be quite nice to leave her with grandparents for the day, as we are doing with dc1, so DH and I can go to the wedding alone. She is a good eater and I've introduced a cup for her with water at dinner time, so she can practise having a cup, as I was thinking she could have ebm from it while we are away. Haven't actually tried giving her bm in a cup though.
We would be away from about midday until midnight.
I'm really not sure whether she'll take milk from a cup, plus she has a feed before bed so not sure how she'll settle without that. She would be very welcome at wedding so I'm thinking that maybe I should just take her and she can sleep in her pram during the evening part, rather than worry about her getting stressed and thirsty.
Has anyone been in a similar position? What would you do? I also have another event in a few weeks' time when I would be away from her for about 8 hours and I'm thinking I should probably just not go to that.

FurryGiraffe Wed 04-May-16 15:39:07

If she eats well and drinks water from a cup she'll be perfectly fine for that length of time without breast milk. She's not going to go hungry or thirsty.

Bedtime is trickier. Could you have a trial run of going out and leaving DH to put her to bed with a cup of EBM? My DS BF before bed until about 15 months but was absolutely fine with milk in a cup before bed if I was out. But best not to experiment with it for the first time on the day of the wedding (because apart from anything else you'll probably feel a bit anxious and unable to relax and enjoy your child free time!)

missmillimentscardigan Wed 04-May-16 15:50:18

Thanks, furry - yes, a trial would be good idea. Will get DH to try. I think her reaction to being given a cup at bedtime might be a bit 'WTF??'' grin

FurryGiraffe Wed 04-May-16 18:37:19

She might grin She might howl the house down, or she might shrug her shoulders and say 'hey, mummy's not here, I'm tired- the stuff in the cup will do!' It's definitely worth a try though! DS was absolutely unbothered, though he was used to DH putting him down for naps without milk so that may have helped (or maybe not- you never can tell with babies...)

RainbowTortoise Wed 04-May-16 19:04:06

I personally would take her as I would just worry otherwise!

You could always leave her for the day, then pick her up and take her along for the evening part.

CityDweller Mon 09-May-16 22:59:09

I was in a similar situation with DC1. EBF, never took a bottle, drank from a cup, etc. Basically, it got to the point when I had to leave her (I went back to work when she was 8 mo). She got by just fine. She drank expressed milk from a sippy cup for the childminder and from a doidy cup for DH. She probably ate more solids on those days to make up for having slightly less milk ('cos while she was perfectly happy drinking it from a cup, I don't think she took as much in as when she fed from me).

I too was also really nervous the first time I wasn't there for bedtime, but turns out that was fine too - DH would get as much milk into her as possible via a cup and then put her to bed as normal.

So, if I were you I'd go for it and go to the wedding and your event.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now