Looking for stories of how people found BFing with DC2

(9 Posts)
LadyAntonella Sun 01-May-16 09:47:48

Just looking for some stories about the above.

I had problems breast feeding DD and had to combination feed from almost the very start. I ended up having to top up every breast feed with formula and it got exhausting. My milk dried up when she was a couple of months old and I was relieved I didn't have to keep doing both iyswim.

This is all quite hypothetical as I am ttc DC2 now. If we have another DC, I would so love to EBF. I think the problems DD and I had were due to us both being seriously ill after birth and being hospitalised in separate wards for a time. DD had to be fed through a tube and I was in no state to pump. I don't envisage having those problems again, so am hoping I might have more luck with a second baby. My worry is that the added pressures of having a toddler as well as a newborn won't make BFing any easier. Any tips and advice much appreciated.

Junosmum Sun 01-May-16 10:21:24

Not my personal experience but MIL reLly successfully bf ds (my dh, baby number 1) and then had dd who she struggled to bf for a month before switching to formula. She told me she was amazed at how different both of them were to feed. So I'd say it can work both ways!

1lov3comps Sun 01-May-16 10:28:36

I only managed to bf dd for 6 days before I gave up. It took everything out if me and by 10 days after her birth, I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight and I'd put on 2 stone during. I was very run down for about 3-4 months afterwards and still think I was all related.
DS was ebf for 3 months and I chose to move to combination feeding for another 3 months. Easiest thing ever smile Can't believe how different both experiences were. Mind you, I was much more open to the idea of it not working second time round and was far less stressed because of it.

AThousandTears Sun 01-May-16 10:33:38

I struggled along for 6 weeks with DS1. Physically and emotionally draining with an incorrect latch. Had to stop.

DS2 is 8 weeks on Tuesday and everything has been so easy this time. To the point where formula and bottles seem like such an effort when I thought that was the easy option last time.

I'm convinced it's all down to the baby!

Seeline Sun 01-May-16 10:42:13

I had a similar situation to you with my DS. Ended up mixed feeding for 6 months, although managed specific BFs and specific bottle feeds rather than constant topping up - that must have been exhausting.
Totally different experience with DD 2 years later. Instant latch as soon as she was born and fed her until 15 months (not entirely my choice but she flatly refused bottles, cups, formula or cows milk). I guess you can't win wink

petalsandstars Sun 01-May-16 10:42:48

First for almost a year - second for 16 months ish. Toddler just had to manage with me on the sofa - and I became proficient early on at bf one handed walking around or whilst sat at the table feeding lunch/playing with play doh etc. Stairgates to keep toddler from wandering off into the kitchen/upstairs helped too.

nocoffeenouppee Sun 01-May-16 10:55:02

DS1 combi fed for 4 months. Similar to you- expressing and topping up with formula. Would describe it as harrowing if I'm honest. He never latched without shields due to a posterior tongue tie that there weren't services to deal with here (and that wasn't diagnosed until I hired a lactation consultant at 10 weeks).
DS2 14 weeks and EBF. Some minor hurdles at start (PTT but we now have someone releasing them).
As PP says. It's a relationship between2. It's not enough to want to. Baby needs to be able as well.

SheilaTakeABow Sun 01-May-16 11:04:18

I BF DS1 for a month before switching as I was exhausted, underweight, depressed and in agony. And frankly, he just never seemed to like it or take to it. I've been feeding DS2 for 11 months now, it's been a totally different experience. We had the 'usual' problems at the beginning, sore nipples, round the clock cluster feeding etc, but after that it became second nature to us both.
Like PPs have said, I do think a lot of it is down to the baby - DS1 was never fussed whereas DS2 is a boob monster. Getting him off it is a different matter...confused

LadyAntonella Sun 01-May-16 12:28:55

These stories are great - thank you! smile. I'm prepared for the possibility that I'll have problems again but it's nice to know some people manage second time round even if the first was a struggle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now