ante natal expressing

(6 Posts)
flowerpower10 Thu 28-Apr-16 21:25:36

*I have gestational diabetes, and so am being induced at 38 weeks My diabetes MW as told me that it would be a good idea to start expressing some colostrum from (36 weeks), as it would help the baby to avoid having hypoglyceamia after birth if she has colostrum as often and as quickly as possible after birth, so best to stash some frozen in case I can't get her to latch on straight away or for  whatever other reason that I might have trouble.  I'm being given some syringes this week to store it in in the freezer.

So when I was in the bath last night I thought I would have a good at getting things flowing to get some practice.  I've not had any leaks or anything so far by the way.  Well, I tried everything that I've read on how to hand express and nothing at all happened - not a single drop.  I would have a go with the pump I've bought but she's said that I only need to express about 10ml for each feed, so a pump would probably loose such a small amount, if you see what I mean - it'd get stuck around the pump and bottle and I'd end up with nothing.  

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of expressing antenatally, or has any tips for me to get things going?  

Nousername2015 Fri 29-Apr-16 03:33:45

I'd give your local la leche league or breastfeeding support group a call. Despite being shown how to do it numerous times I've never really managed the art of hand expressing. If someone can physically show you and sit with you while you collect a syringe or two I'm sure that will be a big help.
Congratulations on the new arrival smile

daluze Fri 29-Apr-16 19:44:08

I found it very hard to express colostrum even after DS1 birth (while he was in NICU). Definitely advice someone showing you. Pump will not be helpful, as it will only be drops, and quite dense.
I also found it easier if I was expeessing and my partner or a midwife was catching drops with a syringe.
That said, once you get going, it becomes easier.

MinnowAndTheBear Fri 29-Apr-16 19:47:39

The midwives tried to hand express for me on the ante natal ward. It was very difficult and even with my second baby I couldn't manage it by myself at all.
Can you see a midwife at a drop-in clinic perhaps and get some help?

SummerHouse Fri 29-Apr-16 19:50:49

Formula will stop this too. So could be a fall back if you struggle to get anything. You can cup feed to avoid using a teet when trying to establish BFing.

birdandbee Sun 01-May-16 19:45:39

Flowerpower - did you get any information about how to start antenatal pumping? Im 30 weeks but would like to antenatal pump when i get abit nearer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now