How to fix my supply

(3 Posts)
fedupofpeppa Sun 24-Apr-16 07:47:15

I have a two week old baby and am breastfeeding him but giving one bottle of formula at night to give me sleep.. We had a rough time getting started as it was very sore. Still is sore but manageable now. Unfortunately this last week I have been in and out of hospital for high blood pressure. It's been a bad week as I feel rubbish on the medicine and staying on postnatal wards means limited sleep.

Last night I was exhausted and getting upset so my husband sent me to bed and did an extra bottle of expressed milk for the baby. The plan was to keep baby in the lounge until his midnight feed then do the normal bottle of formula then wake me at four but my husband fell asleep without setting his alarm and the baby woke him at five so basically missed two feeds. He gave the formula then and woke me at seven. Normally we wake the baby every four hours at night as he is below birth weight still but gaining steadily with no concerns.

Will this mess up my supply? My boobs don't even feel that full and have been worrying that the stress might be damaging my supply and filling my baby with stress hormones anyway. What should I do? Got another day up at the hospital today and makes it quite tricky to express and feed every hour etc.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 24-Apr-16 12:53:05

Firstly, congratulations on your lovely new lo thanks

Try not to worry too much. Do you think that talking to a BFC might help? Have you got the helpline numbers?

tiktok Sun 24-Apr-16 13:00:14

What a difficult start. sad

You won't have messed up your supply in any serious way.

Stress will not affect your supply and please do not worry about hormones filling the milk sad

Best thing, and easiest thing, is to feed your baby frequently - just keep him close and offer when he looks as if he might be interested. Offer both sides each time.

Do make sure the frequent feeding continues at night, as well, obv smile

A call to any of the BF helplines will be a good idea too.

Hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now