Away from baby and not expressing?

(9 Posts)
StrawberryLeaf Thu 21-Apr-16 19:55:22

I'm going to a work keeping in touch day next week which involves travelling. I'll be away from my baby for around 14 hours. She is 10 months old.

Baby will be fine hopefully, I've not left her this long but she will be with DH and has a good appetite and there is expressed milk.

She currently has about 2 or 3 small feeds in the day (I'll be back for bedtime). Will I do my supply a lot of damage if I don't express that day?

TeaBelle Thu 21-Apr-16 19:58:58

I would imagine supply will be fine but you risk being very, very uncomfortable

TheEagle Thu 21-Apr-16 20:02:32

Agreed, your supply will probably be ok as it's fairly robust at this stage but you risk being very uncomfortable.

I went back to work when my DS1 was 10.5 months old and was gone from 7.30-3.30 ish. Any longer and I would have gotten quite sore and very full.

You could always hand express into a sink if you didn't want to bring a pump but definitely have a contingency plan.

ProseccoPoppy Thu 21-Apr-16 20:02:37

I doubt that as a one off it would wreak your supply. That said, if it was me I'd definitely express (even just a bit) because I'd be really uncomfortable if I didn't. My LO is a bit younger than yours though so maybe your body's got the hang of it better than mine! I'm back at work ft now, and although it's a wrench your KIT day will be totally fine. smile

NoodieRoodie Thu 21-Apr-16 20:06:57

At this stage I can't imagine that there will be any impact on your supply and you may/may not be uncomfortable.

DS3 is 7 months and I went out with friends on Saturday, fed him at 11.30ish and then got home after bedtime (the plan was to be home for bedtime but we were having too much fun!). I felt fine that night and even by next morning I wasn't feeling too engorged.

So my advice would be only express if you need to to make yourself comfortable didn't worry about your supply

StrawberryLeaf Thu 21-Apr-16 20:10:09

That's helpful thanks.

I suppose I don't ever really feel full anymore but that could be because she's feeding so quickly (suction of a Hoover! wink) at this age.

I'll take my manual pump in the bag, it's just that I'm doing so much travelling on public transport and with male colleagues and I can't see how I'll get any time or privacy.

I know this is totally my issue and need to get over the uncomfortableness and just tell them but just can't seem to get over the embarrassment

ProseccoPoppy Thu 21-Apr-16 20:30:24

Oh strawberry I totally get that! I work in quite a male environment, so I have had some slightly odd conversations. I've just been totally matter of fact they clearly feel far more awkward that I do, and are all desperate to look cool about it because they don't want to be "that guy" I'm only a weeks in and it gets easier, well that or I no longer care, bit of both maybe!

ProseccoPoppy Thu 21-Apr-16 20:30:57

A few weeks even. Urgh, tired!

StrawberryLeaf Thu 21-Apr-16 21:47:50

Thanks prosecco I really shouldn't let it bother me. I love breastfeeding, it's been great but I find it so cringy talking to people about it when it comes to my boobs!blush

I've packed my pump so I'll just see how I get on, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now