Refusing formula top ups - tiktok??

(8 Posts)
LibertyBelles Mon 18-Apr-16 19:04:57

Hi all, after some advice!

Long story short - DD was born big, over 10 pounds but I think lots of water weight (she is very puffy in her first photos!) and lost 11% in first five days, she was then slow to regain birth weight - took her until week 6. Because of slow gain I was advised to top her up with 3oz of formula after 3 breast feeds a day which I did. ( tongue tie, latch etc checked) This was from 4 and a half weeks; she was taking the top ups pretty happily - not necessarily the whole bottle but about 9oz a day until Tuesday last week when she started refusing them. Should I be worried - she is still weeing and pooing as she was, fontanelle is normal, moist lips, lots of dribble etc! Today she has taken absolutely no formula despite being offered bottles regularly during the day!

What should I do (next weigh in is next Monday)

Thanks all

LibertyBelles Mon 18-Apr-16 19:18:32

Ps she will sometimes take a bottle she sleepy at night so I don't think it's a case of rejecting the bottle itself or the formula type - think it's just she's not hungry for it - willing to be wrong though

Plantpot83 Mon 18-Apr-16 19:19:34

Hopefully someone with more experience will come along soon but could she have become more efficient at feeding and just doesn't want the top ups? I had to express and BF for my DD who was a very inefficient feeder (tt) and a big baby. At around 12 weeks she stopped downing the whole bottle of expressed milk before bed simply because she was able to fill herself up by BF. Maybe another explanation is that she has cottoned on to the fact that there's a difference between formula and BF and is showing a preference for breast. This happened to several friends of mine.

If you have no concerns about her health, I wouldn't have thought that you would need to worry about her weight too much, especially as she was a good birth weight. My DD was born on the 91st centile, dropped to the 75th then started putting weight on steadily had got to around 85th by 6 months, by 4 weeks the HV weren't worried about it.

bingobingoed Mon 18-Apr-16 19:20:05

I wouldn't worry and just offer the breast more. Its really common for babies to refuse the bottle when breastfeeding and their weight to remain on track.

Plantpot83 Mon 18-Apr-16 19:29:02

Also just to say I wasn't expressing because of weight gain concerns, it was an attempt to get her to sleep longer than two hours at a time. (It worked for a couple of weeks...not any more smile)

LibertyBelles Mon 18-Apr-16 19:35:40

Thanks both - should have said she's 11 weeks today!

ilod27 Tue 19-Apr-16 07:39:06

I don't have much experience but just wanted to let you know that my DS was getting formula top ups from 5 days, but started taking less and less from a bottle until he refused it completely at 12 weeks.

He's now ebf at 5 months and weight gain etc has all been good.

It sounds like your little girl is getting all she needs from breastfeeding smile

LibertyBelles Tue 19-Apr-16 10:11:20

ilod thanks - that's exactly what I want to hear tbh! I didn't really want to top up and was trying to drop them for a while before just giving in and accepting it...but if she does it on her own grinyay

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now