Oh god, my nipple! Help!

(8 Posts)
MyNameIsSuz Thu 31-Mar-16 10:55:05

Dd is 12 days old and we're still getting the hang of feeding. She's actually my second and I fed ds for 14 months, but we had a rocky start and I'm starting to think I'm just not good at feeding newborns. She did seem to be a better feeder and isn't losing weight like he did, but I'm starting to have trouble.

I've been quite sore but think the latch has improved as it's mostly ok once she's on. This morning I got out my right boob to feed and there is a big flap hanging off. I'm too scared to feed off it and have only offered the left so far, which I think is going to work much longer as she normally takes both and the right is already feeling a bit full.

What do I do?? Should I just feed from it anyway?

tiktok Thu 31-Mar-16 13:49:53

Wow - that sounds awful sad

That nipple needs to heal.

One thing you could do is to hand express on that side - using a pump may make things worse as the skin stretches out and opens the wound.

Do this for 24 hours or so - keep the milk and either give it or store it. Your left side may well be able to be sufficient in the meantime - most women make enough to feed twins smile

See the doc or the midwife about speeding up the healing - you may need a dressing.

LovelyWeatherForDucks Thu 31-Mar-16 14:07:02

Ouch!

Nipples do heal surprisingly fast, thankfully! Mine suffered terribly and poor DS would posset up pink milk....What helped was loads of fresh air to them when at some, and when they needed to be covered a layer of Lasinoh and cling film (instead of pads) which mean they didn't dry out or stick to anything (as suggested by a midwife!). When i saw a breastfeeding support person, they also said to wash nipples twice a day with plain soap and water to aid healing.

Definitely try to express at least, otherwise you'll have mastitis/blocked ducts to content with too!

Good advice here:

kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplehealing/

MyNameIsSuz Thu 31-Mar-16 15:34:28

Thanks both, that's good advice. I fed on that side when she was desperate after an hour on the other one, it hurt to latch but no more than usual. I will try hand expressing if I can, and there are some good suggestions on that link which I'll try.

I definitely need to work on our latch, but I don't know how. Midwives have looked and said it was fine, I'm not sure if it's still bad or if the damage is from the first couple of days and not gone yet. I just want it to feel better, I can't remember how long it usually takes to settle down.

YesMum23 Sun 03-Apr-16 18:27:57

I have used lavendar oil combined with coconut oil and it seems to do the trick.

HairyBoob Sun 03-Apr-16 20:25:32

Oh god how awful. I can highly recommend Multi Mam compresses. Saved my nips in the early days.

Buy from Boots
Store in fridge for extra (blissful) relief
Cut in half to make them last longer (not cheap)
Apply to nips - one or two will last you all day.

You don't need to wipe before feeding.

Also second those suggesting Lansinoh and air.

Persephone76 Tue 05-Apr-16 19:25:40

Yes, multimam compresses are amazing and worth every penny!

FitLikeQuine79 Thu 07-Apr-16 21:47:13

This was my experience with DD1. My right nipple was totally wrecked and the end hanging off. We finally found out she had a tongue tie which meant although her latch initially was good when she got tired she would slip and end up nipple feeding rather than breastfeeding. Has she been checked for a tongue tie? Make sure you take her off and get her latched on again if she starts to slip. Agree with pp advice about moist healing, my nipple didn't take long to heal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now