Formula fed baby, possibly cluster feeding?

(4 Posts)
Rubysmummy2016 Sat 19-Mar-16 11:59:09

My little girl is 4 weeks old today but her feeding in the last 12 or so hours is starting to worry me. She had a slightly less than normal feed at 7pm (50ml), then wanted more at 8pm (70ml) then cried again at 9pm and took another 30ml. She finally settled at about 10:30pm, woke up at just gone midnight and took 50ml. But then she slept for five and a half hours straight through, thinks he only woke up because I panicked and checked on her. But it feels really difficult to feed her today, she is trying to take the very tip of the bottle rather than most of the teat like she usually does, and milk is just spilling out everywhere (this isn't a few drops this is practically a stream). After 5 minutes, I can get her to take it properly but then she'll only have 20-30ml and she's asleep. This is really unlike her as she normally feeds really well with little or no fuss.

Maybe I'm just being over cautious or is this something most babies do?

Thanks smile

BertieBotts Mon 21-Mar-16 20:18:15

It might be that she's having a growth spurt - fairly normal at that age smile I don't know if cluster feeding happens with FF but I don't see why not especially if you're feeding on demand.

Is she alert when she's awake? Showing any other unusual signs?

Rubysmummy2016 Tue 22-Mar-16 00:29:44

She's alert, she's also staying awake for longer than usual between feeds x

KnitFastDieWarm Tue 22-Mar-16 00:39:23

my ds is formula fed and he cluster fed at this age - I think it's pretty normal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now